Honored Contributor

Re: Summer is Coming to the Back Fence - June 2018

@meallen616 wrote:

Welcome June,
I hope the new month will be good to all of us!

http://img1.picturescafe.com/pc/june/june_047.jpg

Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner - Midnight Snack

Respected Contributor

Great to see so many here so early in the month. PLEASE keep coming back as it makes it so much fun and Epi, you had best not miss an entire month again. We do miss you.

Hot day on tap, Sigh!! Freeze one day and then roast the next day -cannot stand that but who am I to voice an opinion on the weather. This is Sou Cal. Groan - not real nice like it use to be.

Am tired just sitting here so need to get up and take a few steps so my joints do not lock up. LOL. Like I keep saying, no fun getting old and puny!!

Hae a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

It was 55 degrees outside when I fed the birds this morning.  I know this is crazy, I kicked the furnace on because it was 74 degrees in my house - a damp feeling 74 degrees.  I'm phobic about my birds getting a chill and I suspect Grayson will be bathing today as he skipped the past 2 days.  The house doesn't feel particulary hot however the chill is gone.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

thank you Bernie 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My poor sister had a horrific experience yesterday. 

She took a neighbor's kid to a CVS to buy a new charger for his Iphone.  My sister was parked in the lot facing a busy street while the kid was inside looking for what he needed.

She heard a noise that sounded like screeching metal and as she looked to see what was making that noise, a body dropped right in front of her in the street lane closest to the sidewalk as if it fell from the sky.

From what eyewitnesses who were on the road with this guy said, he was riding his motorcycle around 100 mph, hit a bump in the road which sent him up in the air.  He was not wearing a helmet.

My sister ran into traffic to avoid him being hit.  His head was split open and he looked like he was convulsing.  Two other people came to the guy's aid while my sister ran to her car to get a blanket that she keeps in it.  When the guy next lifted his head (involuntarily), my sister put the blanket under his head to stop it from slamming into the asphalt.  911 was called, half a dozen cop cars came immediately from every direction.  The guy opened his eyes and Mary said she told him not to be afraid, help was here.  She said he had pale blue eyes that reminded her of our eldest sister who died in 2016.  The ambulance was there in no time.

Her employer has community engagement and volunteering requirements and my sister had done some volunteering in the morning.  She stopped at my house after (the church she volunteered at is not far from my house).  I gave her some weed b gone that I bought and didn't want to use on my grass (because of my wildlife) and a few nerve pills (no judgement - I like to have them on hand even though I rarely take them). 

She went home and then that's when all of this took place.

She and I talked for hours and I told her to take 1/2 a nerve pill once she ate.  She said it wasn't necessary for me to come over even though I asked umpteen times.  Sometimes witnesses to these things can have a heart attack or something so I was worried.

I checked with her today, she is doing okay.  

Trusted Contributor

Your sis sure did have an experience.  Wow. I'm glad she is doing ok. 

We are having a gorgeous day.   Couldn't be any nicer.  A cardinal couple and a robin couple have nests nearby.  I have not seen a goldfinch tho. Don't know where they went 

I have a friend who keeps track of monarch butterflies and she said the caterpillars are here early.  She takes them home to protect them and see them energetic.  Said they were really hungry.  

School is out now.  Fun to see kids playing on scooters and bouncing basketballs.  

Honored Contributor

The day started out gloomy and I thought it was going to rain.  The sun came out and I wore a hoodie while cutting the grass because it was breezy and a little on the chilly side.  Glad that's done - my property looks loved again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@BirkiLady  Are hostas easy to grow?  My property is primarily green once the tulips and may bells (lily of the valley) sprout and fizzle.

@Bird mama  Yes, but snails love them, so if no preventive measures are taken, the hostas will disappear, lost quite a few years ago.  Mine die back in winter.  They are on sale now at zulily nine for $12.99.  I bought the set of twelve, and they are wonderful healthy plants with several to a plant, but when I buy at Hosta companies online, they are more expensive and I only get one very small plant, so zulily is a great deal if you want to try.  There is also a set of three, and several other sets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

With the knowledge that the garbage men were coming today, I decided to repeat what I did last week and continued to tackle the garage addition.  6 boxes are gone from the shelves that my husband built.  Mostly softcover old reference books that were outdated. 

I got the nerve up to soak the 3 bags of fireworks (M-80s that look like shotgun shells with wicks Woman Surprised) in a bucket of water.  I was nervous when I was handling them and I let them soak until they started to fall apart.  Only then were they safe to discard.  

I saved my husband's baby shoes Heart  Everything else was pitched or recycled this morning.  I'd say 95% of the box contents were paper that could be recycled.

There are some more boxes for me to go through.  Then I start the fun job of sorting nuts/bolts/scr*ws in various jars.  I also have random pieces of wood in the rafters.  I don't mind having a few jars and some scrap pieces of wood because you never know what your gonna need.

Milk crates full of jars of these things is more than I need.  Lucky for me, they are metal and I can recycle them too.    

Trusted Contributor

you made great progress.  We had a little setback. Merle's right leg has been swelling and yesterday I made an appt to see dr. He was not happy with me. I couldn't get in with regular dr nor cardiologist so took one available from our regular office. 

She ordered an ultra sound at 4 this afternoon.  So we need to go back to hospital and stay there til the drs office reviews the test and gives us permission to leave. This put me deeper in the hole.   Not quite sure why the expensive eliquis isn't taking care of any clot but maybe it is.   He is behaving and staying off the leg.  It helps that it is raining and he wanted to deliver some equipment but didn't want the boxes to get wet.   

Always something.