Honored Contributor

I keep hearing and reading about young people committing suicide.  These are people who are (in some cases) 12, 13 years old.

People need to take notice.  It's an epidemic.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 The age you mention is a very difficult period for a lot of children.

So many families are dysfunctional, which means something negative is happening in the family where emotionally supporting and nurturing everyone for positive growth has stopped.

Families can cycle into and out of dysfunctional mode and young people can't "see" past the issue and time they're dealing with which causes hopelessness.  Sometimes, they have inherited depression which hasn't been diagnosed or they won't take their meds.

When I taught, I was on the adolescent psyc unit as a "family" member so often, some of the nurses recognised me.  those students felt I was the only one that "got it". 

It seems some children just have a hard time growing up, bless them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Another factor fostering suicide in this age group is the notoriety suicide gets online and in other media. Children see it more often within their peer group which can add to the understanding by children of how to commit suicide. In addition, this visibility adds to the child’s perception of suicide’s acceptability within their age group. 

Respected Contributor

It's so sad what kids have to deal with now.  Bullying over social media is rampant.  It's such a vulnerable time when kids are trying to figure out who they are plus all the changes their bodies are going through.  My heart breaks for them and their families. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a report on this tragedy today. We hear about adults and suicide, which is awful, but with young people it's even more heartbreaking for what might have been. We are experiencing some very difficult and challenging times and we are apparently not taking enough care of each other.

Respected Contributor

When  I was married we had some  friends whose son committed suicide at age 14. His Grandfather died and he wanted to be with him in heaven. The parents said they did not have a clue as did his friends?  I often wondered if there was more to the story as his Mother was always working and she remarried. 

Honored Contributor

Some kids much younger than that think and talk about suicide.  The hospital I work for has a pediatric psychiatric ward and kids as young as 7 or 8 have been admitted for what they call "suicidal ideation" which means they have talked about or threatened suicide.  It's not common but it does happen.  It's by no means an epidemic.    Parents either take their kids to their pediatricians when this happens and they get guidance on therapists and what to do if the child is in imminent danger.  Or they take the child to the ER where a psychiatrist is called in and they admit the child to psychiatric ward or facility for treatment.        

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree I'm glad you posted.  I knew we had some nurses on here that could "ground" this.  I really don't think we're in an extremely heightened period, although I have seen a slight increase since I've taught.

We always need to keep in mind we are in the age of information.  We have access to so much information now where we never did before.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Remember, I told you my nephew (whom I lived with at one time) took a gun...bought specifically to blow off his head...did just that.

When the children came the next morning to go swimming at the local pool, his partial body was there at the entrance.

He’d never mentioned anything that would have led us to think he’d do that.  To this day no one knows why he’d do that.

He didn’t drink and had never done drugs.  He worked out every day.  He was very attractive and had lots of friends.

We all attended seminars to try to understand suicide and the bottom line, you don’t always see it coming or know it’s coming.

It’s often something that’s hastily done.  I’ve watched a lot of shows about it.

I know people, myself included, who had extremely difficult lives growing up. 

I’ve often wondered what makes me different that nothing remotely like that ever entered my mind.

I know someone who’s life in school was sheer Hell.  But she never thought about suicide.  She’s still not a happy person, but she feel like she survived.

I’ve read where the most dangerous time and when a suicidal person must be watched is when they start feeling a little better from the meds.

The theory is when they are in the depths of despair they don’t have the energy.  However, as they feel slightly better and get a tiny bit of energy....that’s when they’re the most vulnerable emotionally.

I’ve also read where suicides can run in families.  I’ve had other family members die this way.

However, it was many years ago and this nephew never knew about them.

The emotions a loved one feels (anger, guilt ) an entire range of emotions is overwhelming.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I do remember, Sweetie. 

These kids often feels "no one gets it" which is SO sad and quite the paradox because THEY "don't get it".  Things Do change.  Opportunities DO open up.  They WILL succeed.  I just hate it for them.