Esteemed Contributor

Re: Suggestions please, in a bind

I knew that your problem sounded familiar.

You've had problems moving  before.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/In-a-dilemma-need-some-advice-from-friends/m-p/5280324#M3... 

I would suggest just renting.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Yes, thank you for remembering! We've been stuck in this rental situation unfortunatley for a very long time  in general, hence the frustration. Last year we moved out and found a short term rental hoping to be just for a few months but its where we are stuck now. Its exactly why im hesitant to put ourself in it again by renting.

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

A year seems like a long time, but your DH needs to get the job first. Patience is needed and then you'll have an opportunity to fulfill your dreams.

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

I'm in your situation, in some ways.  Most of my household goods are in storage, while I wait for my future home to be built. 

at first, I looked for a short term, furnished rental.  Just a small place like this could have cost $6000/month in this area.  There wasn't even anything available within a 30 minute drive of where I need to be based 

what I ended up doing, was renting a one bedroom apartment and paying  $500/month added charge because I asked for a six month lease, as opposed to the typical one year lease.  Ask...this might be available for you.  

my furnishings came from holiday sales and/or the nearby consignment store.  Still less expensive in the long run, than paying $6000/month. 

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

Sorry, I remember that you thought this was going to be a temporary move.  Is this the same location you were shooting for a year ago?

If so, I’m pretty sure I would be READY TO GO!  You can surely find work, continue your on-line courses, and certainly participate in more networking than you can from a distance.  

Does your DH know WHY the previous position did not work out?  Does he have a solid agreement that one is in the works for him, SOON?  Is there a possibility for him to take a part-time position with his company in the place of choice while he waits for the full-time one?  Without any of these agreements, it seems that you have put much time and trust in this job with no rewards to speak of.

You don’t mention human family in the area, or other ties, so I would plan to both start seriously looking for work ‘there’.  Unless you have pretty substantial savings, and an established career path in the new location, home purchasing doesn’t seem to be in the immediate future.  So, I would also plan to look for a cat safe, rental home for all of you once you both have employment.  Deciding about Moving your furniture can wait until you know how much space you have.

*** You seem to have a bit of analysis paralysis, lots of what ifs, but really, not much can happen until  you find work for one, or even both of you in the chosen location.

Good Luck!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

If we rent a house, the problem is most require at least a year lease whereas we dont know our time frame. Another Problem is that we would have to pay the cost of moving all our furniture cross country. If DH had a job they would cover those costs.

You mention above that renting in the new location might be an issue because you don't know your time frame. Wouldn't you at that point be determining your time frame? You move to potential job location, rent a home and sign a lease, then stay there for a year. If everything works out with the job then after a year you buy your home. If it doesn't you rent again for another year. 

You might have to pay to move your furniture but your alternative is to keep paying for a long stay hotel and paying for furniture storage all while being miserable. I would think at some point $$ will have to become a factor. ?

Someone else mentioned the point about your husband receiving more job interviews if he had a local address. I wholeheartedly agree with that. Anyone that does any hiring probably has a couple of stories to share about long distance hiring. I struck out three times with hiring candidates from long distances; one applicant changed their minds and decided not to move and the other two couldn't sell their homes and wanted an indefinite start date in the future. I could not push back a start date indefinitely. Consequently I no longer consider out of state applicants. 

(the positions I am hiring for though are not six figure type jobs, so maybe that makes a difference)

Best of luck!

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

We have been in temporary limbo in the past due to Army move delays. It is extremely stressful and I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

Are you positive your DH's new job will pay to relocate? It's not always a given, usually  unless a company is making a current employee relocate. If that isn't definite, I would suggest moving now - for both of you. His job prospects will be much better when he is a local candidate. Good luck!

Super Contributor

Maybe YOU could get a job and put your MBA on hold for a while? Or do I misunderstand your marriage contract?

Honored Contributor

Unless your furniture is expensive, unique, irreplaceable, it will cost more than it's worth to have it transported across the country so sell it instead of continuing to waste money on storage. More to the chosen location, rent an apartment, and buy inexpensive furniture online that has free delivery. 

What you're doing now could go indefinitely, so cut your loss and stop waiting on hold.

Valued Contributor

@SunSprite  Its not that simple. What I meant by time frame is that we wanna buy a house asap, we dont want to rent for long so that being said, we dont know when we'll find the right house for us. Most homes are selling like hot cakes where we're looking so its uncertain if we get it. People are putting in bids for homes.  If we sign a year lease and find a house in 3-6 months then we'll be stuck paying till the end of the lease because most land lords wont allow to break it, if they do then we'll still have to pay until they get the place rented. I agree that being local is the best case scenario. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop