Esteemed Contributor

was woken up this morning with a phone call....a dear friend of ours passed away suddenly last night.....he was our friend for 55 years....my husband is away for the day...he has a 2 hour ride home so i didn't want to call him with the news....in fact, he was going to call him when he got home to schedule a lunch date this week...i've been pacing around the house waiting to tell him the sad news....i'm so upset....i just turned on the tv for some distraction....there was a news alert that there is a presumptive case of coronavirus reported here in my state of RI.....such a sad sad day.....i'm in desperate need of your positive thoughts....

Esteemed Contributor

@nana59  I am sorry for your diffiuclt day.  As your neighbor here in RI I haven't watched the news yet today and wasn't aware of this.  Amazing how quickly it is spreading to different states.  I hope this gets under control soon.  I know Mass has a case or two also.

I think you are doing the right thing by waiting to tell your husband about your friend until he gets home.  I would do the same as it is quite upsetting news.  So sorry for your loss, I am sending you strength.

Honored Contributor

@nana59I'm so sorry for the loss of your long-time friend.  Every loss we face tests us,  but what's most positive right now is that you will share your grief with DH and move ahead together rather than having to go it alone.  I think that's huge and wonderful.

Honored Contributor

A few years ago, I also lost a very close friend who I knew since childhood.  I was devastated and the grief process difficult.  However, I got through it with faith, support of family and friends. While I didn't think the feeling of grief would subside, it did. and I found a sense of peace.

I of course still miss her but I have such wonderful happy memories of our friendship.  I visit her grown children who I am close to.  You will get through this shock and sadness and you will always have cherished memories of your friend.  

I am sorry for your loss.

Valued Contributor

You are doing the right thing by waiting until your husband gets home to tell him the sad news. He has to keep a clear head while traveling. When he is home safe, then relate what you know. It's such a shock when a death happens, especially when it was unexpected.

I had a friend die of ovarain cancer last weekend. She had been suffering for six years--and nothing was stopping the spread--so she stopped all treatment and went into hospice-- her death was expected. And yet, when her husband called to tell us that she had passed away two days later, my husband and I were shocked---and we are still so very sad--so no matter what the circumstance--the news is still stunning.

Sorry for the loss of your close friend---I wish him an eternity of rest--and I wish you and your husband peace and hugs!! God bless!!

Super Contributor
@nana59 wise of you not to deliver the news about your friend over the phone. No need to upset your husband, he doesn't need to be thinking of that on his drive home.
Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. It was very wise of you not to tell your husband while he is on the road.  Let him get home safely and you can break the news to him.  But I can't figure how COVID 19 plays into the loss of dear friend.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm so sorry for your loss. It was very wise of you not to tell your husband while he is on the road.  Let him get home safely and you can break the news to him.  But I can't figure how COVID 19 plays into the loss of dear friend.  

just more bad news on an already bad day......surprised you couldn't figure that out....

Honored Contributor

@nana59  I'm so sorry that your day started with such sad and unexpected news.  It was wise of you to wait until your husband returns home before you give him the news.  He's going to need someone with him when he hears it.  It might be a good idea to wait until he is seated when you tell him.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@nana59  I'm so sorry that your day started with such sad and unexpected news.  It was wise of you to wait until your husband returns home before you give him the news.  He's going to need someone with him when he hears it.  It might be a good idea to wait until he is seated when you tell him.

i've been thinking all day about the best way to tell him....and thought i would ask him to sit down...thank you....he'll be home soon....and i'm dreading it.....