Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

From what I learned not every one received the third check.  

This is odd, we received the note asking if we received #3.  We did not.  So, I called and asked the IRS why this was.  

They just just kept repeating ‘you need to answer the question’, no information forthcoming.  I said I’ve answered the question, we did not receive it.  No change of address, SS Numbers, or Bank here.  No answers.

@Drythe 

Thank you for this post. Neither my wife nor I received a note. Was this note sent USPS to our home, or some other electronic method?

You talked to IRS Representatives and they are telling you to answer a question, sent to you in a note, if you received a Stimulus #3 check? 

I am lost here. Did this note you received have a return address where to send your "yes or no" reply?  Or did this note tell you to call the IRS? 

This whole thing makes no sense to me. If 3 checks were supposed to be sent by the IRS to all tax payers, why are they asking this "yes/no" question!  If we have money coming I would expect everyone that pays taxes would have had a check sent. Directly to them or a bank Direct Deposit. 

Now it is up to us to chase some bureaucratic Federal office to money that was supposed to be sent to all taxpayers. Or am I missing something here.

Thank you @Drythe 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

You can still apply for ANY credit you think you are owed....if you have a printer, print off the 2021 Form 1040 and complete Line 30. 

Tecnically is is called an "EIP" Economic Impact Payment.

The instructions are in the 2021 Federal Income Tax Instruction booklet online, page 57 for line 30 on your tax return.

This is a CREDIT.

You do NOT pay tax on the amount. If you were entitled to the third check ( or ANY of them) , they will use your social security number ( from the front of the form) to find out.

You should not have to "Call the IRS".

I have friends who otherwise didn't have to file, who were entitled to this rebate, and I was able to get it for them by filling out Line 30 on Form 1040.

Please try this. Your rebate is based on your INCOME TAX return from 2019 or 2020.

If you hadn't filed your return by the time that rebate was issued, you might not have gotten it.

Or, if you are like many who are not requried to even FILE a return, you may not have recieved it either.

You do not need the notification some were sent to file for this credit.

THere are myriad reasons why you may not have recieved this one, and if you are Married Filing Joint, there are other criteria to meet. Very clearly explained in the instruciton booklet online .

Hope this helps.!!!!

From the IRS Instructions Page 57 for Line 30:

Line 30

"Recovery Rebate Credit
The 2021 recovery rebate credit was
paid out to eligible individuals as an advance payment called an economic impact payment.

The economic impact
payment was based on your 2019 or
2020 tax year information.

The 2021 recovery rebate credit is figured like the
economic impact payment except that
the credit eligibility and the credit
amount are based on your 2021 tax year
information.

If you didn’t receive the
full amount of the 2021 recovery rebate
credit as an economic impact payment,
you may be able to claim the recovery
rebate credit on your 2021 Form 1040 or
1040-SR.

Generally, you are eligible to claim
the recovery rebate credit if in 2021 you
(or your spouse if filing a joint return)
were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, weren't a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a valid social security number.

Use the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet to figure the credit, if any,
you can claim. For more information on
the recovery rebate credit, go to IRS.gov/EIP3QA"

Honored Contributor

Re: Stimulus Payment

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn 

The note came via USPS, and our answer was to be attached to our tax filing.

Doing some reading at IRS.gov I learned that this 3rd economic stimulus 

was income based, which I did not know. It could come as a check, a debit card, or a credit on your income filing.  No more credit for millionaires!

The IRS site has a tracking program to start if you didn't get the stimulus. What if I did not receive my stimulus ?- in the FAQ section.

Turns out what triggered payment was receipt of your '21 tax filing. It is too late to get the payment now, but if the tracking shows you were eligible Income-wise, and did not receive it, it will be credited to your '21, or 22' income tax filing as a credit. The IRS does not instigate this tracking.  The burden is on the individual to track and request credit, because everyone was not supposed to get it.  OK, we can do that, right, no problem.

There is a whole section on what to do if you don't file income tax, but that doesn't apply to me, so I didn't read it.

There may be other interpretations, but this is what I gleaned from a few hours of reading.

I hope you and Cindy are doing well, and are a bit reconciled to your losses;  leaves a scar on your heart that heals some, but never really goes away.

Sending  y'all Good Wishes. ❤️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras