Esteemed Contributor

IRS sent letter dated  2/5/21   stating  EIP2 payment was  $600 per person as a direct payment from Dec 2020 .

Another IRS letter dated  4/22/21  said American Rescue Plan  was to be abt $1400  per person for most people .

Respected Contributor

The letter is to remind people who may NOT have gotten part or all of that (or other) stimulus check.

If they did NOT get it, they can file for it on Form 1040 for a CREDIT so they recieve the part or all of it they may not have gotten when it was first distributed.

People who moved to a new address,had a spouse who died in 2021 who was entitled to get it,  were in the Military or overseas for other reasons,  or had no active bank account, or any number of other reasons who were entitled to that money but did NOT get it at the time it was sent, can now file a  Form 1040 and get the credit.

They can do this even if they are NOT required, due to income limitations, to file income tax returns at all.

They can file for JUST the credit and recieve it now.

You do NOT "declare" it as income, you do NOT pay income tax on it.

The letter is a reminder/placeholder.

You must have a Social Security number in order to get the rebate.

On paper (and online)  Federal Form 1040, it is Line 30.

In the Form 1040 PAPER Instruction manual, it is on Page 57, for Line 30.

Online Form 1040 Instructions (NOT the paper booklet)  are for Line 30 on Form 1040.

Hope this helps.!! 

I LIKE to do income taxes...and have done my own for decades. NOT online programs, actual paper preparation. I like to understand how taxes work. I do IRA conversions, capital gain and didvidend calculations, etc. 

Google "2021 Federal Form 1040 INSTRUCTIONS"adn "2021 Form 1040" to find where Line 30 is located. 

If you GOT the rebate, that line has no entry on it.

One must have a Social Security number and other info to complete the form.

Honored Contributor

Othereeen, you should have become an accountant.  There is nothing I hate more than calculating taxes.  Nothing.  I gladly pay a CPA.

Respected Contributor

If done by direct deposit your bank would know.......

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

When I first read your post here that said, "third stimulus payment" I thought, I only remember getting 2 stimulus checks. 

My wife is gone Pet Sitting so I asked her how many she remembered, and she said 2 checks for each of us. She checked the Direct Deposits to our bank, where we have separate checking accounts, and it shows only 2 checks each. One was for $600 the other for $1400.

Wonder why we have no bank record showing a 3rd check was Direct Deposited to each of our 2 checking accounts?  

What Federal Government Entity can I check online to find out why we did not get a third stimulus check, any suggestions? Appreciate it.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn  hope someone would be able to tell you. I remember it was for 1,200, but can't remember the month. That was the first check and it was in early 2020.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@hckynutjohn  hope someone would be able to tell you. I remember it was for 1,200, but can't remember the month. That was the first check and it was in early 2020.

@Sage04 

I checked Google and this is what it said. Is it accurate?  Hope someone can tell me or point me to a branch of the Feds where I can check it out.

April 2020-$1200   

December 2020-$600

March 2021-$1400

According to my wife our Direct Deposit to each of our accounts show only 2. Have to call her and find out which 2 checks. I would suspect if we didn't get 1 of them each, it would be the latest one, which was the one for $1400. Hmmm! 

I sure don't want to miss out on this money that's being given out to us legal tax payers.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn   Check you 2020 tax return.  I think we were asked on it if we got early payments.  I got the first one in the form of a paper check and the other two by direct deposit so check check deposits.

Didn't the IRS issue the checks?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

If you are asking because of taxes I don't think you need to declare it.

@patbz You are incorrect,  The stimulus needs to be declared when you file your taxes. As you go through your taxes if filing online you are asked to confirm how much you recevied and when.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

From what I learned not every one received the third check.  

This is odd, we received the note asking if we received #3.  We did not.  So, I called and asked the IRS why this was.  

They just just kept repeating ‘you need to answer the question’, no information forthcoming.  I said I’ve answered the question, we did not receive it.  No change of address, SS Numbers, or Bank here.  No answers.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras