Respected Contributor

Re: Still hot at the Back Fence in August - Whew!!!

Davey's problems go back to his Mom AND Dad. Mom has spoiled him rotten and Dad takes no, or little time with him in the past few years. He basically had Davey for the first years of his life and did an excellent job - then Dad met another female and it was downhill from there. He had a great job, he managed an auto repair shop, nice home and all gone now - he struggles but he still should stay in touch better with his son - they use to be super close. Cannot even reach him most of the time now and that is not good - has no working phone. Geez. Dad needs to realize having that male influence is crucial especially with a BIG boy who is surrounded by females - not always any too healthy. I have not been able to reach his Dad in several days, and must say Shannon too has tried - and cannot get him. David needs more structure in his life on a consistent basis.

Well, going to see if it is another stinking hot day - yesterday again was not as horrible as the past week, so now we have had two days, still miserable, but better than what we had. Make sense?

Bird feeders are empty so they need attending to also.

Will have some spaghetti for dinner and the house is still quiet - YEAH!! That will cease shortly however as the little girl will be the first to arise. She was up yesterday about 5, way too early but she didn't think so.

Golly darn but have nothing to leave to snack on - nothing sticks around here very long. LOL.

Have a great day one and all.

Respected Contributor

Afternoon All, we had some rain overnite & this AM, sun is trying to come out but losing the battle

@Winifred I got some eggplant & will fry it up today, can't wait.  Sure hope Davey get's his act together, but it doesn't look good, he needs someone to lay down the law & if he doesn't, then suffer the consequences (sp) which will have to made & followed thru.

@Bird mama hope you are enjoying your long week-end after the week you had at work.  I took 2 pieces of pizza, Thanx it hit the spot

Well best I tend to my eggplant

Take Care

Honored Contributor

Well @Winifred ya got me there.  It's not like Davey was the immaculate conception (wink).  It's too bad that he lost his way with Davey when another woman came into the picture as it's the child that suffers.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I was crushed earlier today when I went way out back to put water on some trees. I have a gorgeous Catalpa tree there - it is huge - and blooms in the Spring and is magnificent. I just could not believe what I saw - almost every single leaf was gone and piled down under the limbs - I could NOT believe it. I have two more in the front yard but they are not magnificent like this one as two of the little boys who once lived up the street played numbers on those two trees in the front yard - am surprised they even survived. All three were planted from twigs - Brenda and her hubby had an enormous one at their home and I fell in love with it. I know a week ago it was just fine - the drought and everything else has certainly played havoc on our oxygen producers. I put water on it - quite a bit - but have a hunch it is not going to survive. I took a look around at the several stubs of once beautiful and producing fruit trees - so very sad. The fruitless mulberry just outside my back gate I believe is also dying - this year the limbs never grew out and while there was some green shoots at the base of the trunk - no green anywhere else.  The one next to it and the bigger one just inside the fence are doing OK. Nothing is fine any more due to the drought and lack of water. Biggest thing so many do not realize is our underground water is gone and things are sinking. Even if we have a sparse rainfall year - and that happens often here - most things survive due to that water underground - ain't there now so nothing for the roots to feed from directly and we are not allowed to water from the top like we use to. There is another mulberry tree in the middle of the back yard and while it is still there - leaves are sparse. I think the world is just not fair right now.

Hope one and all had a great day.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

I'm sorry you are losing another tree Freddie.  When you watch them grow for many years, it's kind of like losing a friend.  

Respected Contributor

Yep, it's heartbreaking to see dead trees here. Can only remember one time when that happened and it was with the Dutch Elms - a disease spread throught this region and ALL trees died. Interesting thing is we still have one here and what is left of it is thriving. Have been cutting away at it getting rid of the dead part - which was the entire brunk but one limb had spread out over the ground and it it now producing greenery almost as high as the original tree was. Several people have noticed it and are completely dumbfounded - so am I. Unfortunately have had to cut others down - some all the way down and some are cut down but a few feet are still there - deader than can be but not completely removed from the ground. Cost is prohibitive to do that sometimes - use to be you could get that done very inexpensively - not so any more = it has become a racket like many things.

Yesterday was quite warm but certainly livable - the sun decided to give us a break and not glare at us all day. Kind of muggy but without the intense heat, survivable. Still hot but better than we have had in a while - not complaining about yesterday at all.

Do have some bagels for one and all - well the little girl has stood up in her crib and is chatting at me - I think she wants dry diapers and perhaps a bottle - gotta run.

Trusted Contributor

We are having a gorgeous day. It was quite cool this morning.  Actually, yesterday was pretty nice too.  We are still short of rain but we did get some.  In fact, we had a tornado touch down not far away.  It did no major damage tho so that is a good thing.   The warning came on my phone.  Merle was sitting in the all glass sunroom.   The sirens went off.   I said you better get in away from the glass.  I will he says.  Took my kindle and headed for the bathroom.  I thought the siren would never stop.  After 29 minutes had the ok.  Looked for Merle.   There he was fast asleep in the sun room.  I said didn't you move?  He said the siren stopped right away.   Oh brother.   I never dreamed he would stay out there.  I said are you sure you're hearing well. He says I'm hearing just fine.  Maybe.   

Honored Contributor

@yock

So Merle slept through it ay?  Men, what are you gonna do?

It was beautiful here yesterday, mid 70's, mostly sunny and a chill in the air from the breeze.  I was in heaven, lol.  Had windows open in the house.

I'm off of work today and tomorrow.  I went grocery shopping this morning - hardly anyone in the store.  Guess that's the trick, go in the morning on a weekday.

I've cut the front grass and am almost finished with my mini break then it's off to do the backyard.

Respected Contributor

Betty, perhaps Merle just wanted to rest some more without moving somewhere else to do it. LOL. Funny, as I cannot imagine him staying there listening to the sirens. We use to have sirens here at the Fire  Station - people complained and so it no longer happens. We had them when there was a fire alert, it also called all the zillion volunteers we use to have and also was a warning something was up. People started moving here from BIG cities and complained - the siren was stopped. STill think the siren was a great tool. I remember when living in Oklahoma and even in New Orleans, sirens would yowl re tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.

Would love to go back to bed but do not have a chance in the world to doing that. Sigh. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, maybe one day I can do that.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it's not called this anymore, but I have a civil defense warning system in my back yard.  It's attached to the school and when the skies get green and that thing goes off, I know somebody spotted something I can't see.

They test it every first Saturday of the month at 1pm. 

I em enjoying this day at home, courtesy of my generous employer.  Not being sarcastic either.  When you work for my company for 15 years, they give you a birthday holiday.  I usually use it on the day of and try to back another day around it depending on when my birthday falls.

Weather continues to be the way I like it so I am having a great day.