Valued Contributor

Re: Stick a Fork in Me-Im Done!!!

@151949 wrote:

I'm dieting so I don't want to buy clothes right now unless I really NEED them. That said ,I got a bunch of stuff from Lane Bryant on fabulous clearance. I really need some new bottoms so I got 4pair of shorts for 9.99 each and 3pair of capri's for 12.99 each plus some t shirts that were 12.99 and the second one was half price so I bought 4. I had a birthday coupon from them so I got $25 off the total as well. I should be all set now for summer at camp.They arrived yesterday and I am very pleased with the quality and they are so soft ,extremely comfortable.

CONGRATS on your weight loss!  Sounds like you got GREAT DEALS at Lane Bryant.  Wear your new clothes in good health!

Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Q2girl wrote:

Because I live in an area with a lot of stores,  I rarely shop here anymore.  Most of the things I buy I can get at a local store on sale or with a coupon,  I can also order on line and return to the store, if I don't like it.  I wait until a site has free shipping and will buy at that time.  I have had this conversation with my mom as she is returning multiple QVC items at the post office.  She always tells me there is no where in her tiny town to buy anything.  I can't imagine how much she spends on shipping and handling charges,  she didn't even know that QVC changed the shipping policy of not giving your original shipping charges back.  I think QVC banks on people like my mom who are elderly and shop on tv to keep busy.  

@GSPgirl

My mom has always been a big Q shopper as well, and is getting up there in age where she doesn't drive alone anywhere very often, so she relies on me to take her shopping and help her choose things (especially gifts).

I had noticed she was 'getting sucked in' by presentations often, because callers would praise an item so much and she would order. About half the time, the products was either inferior, or didn't work in the way she thought it would, or any number of other things. She would destroy the packing materials, and give or throw away the product, not getting a refund. Don't get me wrong, one of the reasons I love Q is those presentations. You get to 'see' the product in more than a picture or two on a computer screen. But the presentations have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I convinced her to call me when she sees something she is interested in. I will check the reviews of that item, the product line in general, and do so on other sites if I can as well. I will watch the presentation, and offer up some questions about the product as it will relate to her, or point out things I'm seeing that she might not. She has never had a computer or device to go online, so she only sees (and believes) what goes on in the televised presentation.

This input from me, has caused her to cut way back on her spending with Q over the years. Still a loyal customer, but a smarter one. She rarely makes a purchase now, of a new product or line without letting me check it out in more depth for her. I know Q makes a lot of money off lonely (sometimes older or homebound) people who use the channel for company and companionship. That is fine, if they can afford it, and if the products they receive match what they are expecting. I do feel sorry for those that can't really afford what they get themselves into financially with online and TV shopping so prevalent these days.

@Mominohio you are a very good daughter!

And her mother is smart to let her do this for her, and daughter is lucky mom is accepting of this. A great working partnership :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Just in case someone is not yet aware, I found out the hard way (a long time ago) that shipping charges are always higher at those UPS standalone stores (the ones that have copy machines, allow you to drop off packages, and have mailing services) than they are at the official US Post Office branches.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Just in case someone is not yet aware, I found out the hard way (a long time ago) that shipping charges are always higher at those UPS standalone stores (the ones that have copy machines, allow you to drop off packages, and have mailing services) than they are at the official US Post Office branches.

Today I shipped a package at Staples and learned they can ship via UPS and USPS.  After taking my information the clerk told me the cost for each and when each would deliver.  USPS was much less expensive - $7 vs $17.   I thought it was great that they offer both services - saves me the trouble of running to both to learn which is cheaper.

Frequent Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

Today I shipped a package at Staples and learned they can ship via UPS and USPS.  After taking my information the clerk told me the cost for each and when each would deliver.  USPS was much less expensive - $7 vs $17.   I thought it was great that they offer both services - saves me the trouble of running to both to learn which is cheaper.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that. Smiley Happy 

*rememberance of my little sister. i miss you*