Honored Contributor

Re: State Tax Refund?..............

@jpie

Since my state started charging State Income Tax, I have never received a refund. I have paid more every single year. So no, I am not waiting for a refund.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I had to pay the Feds a small fortune ... but a small amount due back from NY State.  I had it direct-deposited into my checking account.  It showed up on my statement the month following electronic filing.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

That stinks!  

Trusted Contributor

Don't be afraid to put your social sec # on the state site, it is secure.  I live in OR and this year my refund also was very late...I entered  the Where is my refund? Site almost every day...always said In Process, that they were maually reviewing my form  (not auditing me) and that I had to wait 12 WEEKS before calling their 800 # !  After I called, my refund posted to my checking account in 4 business days!  I had to enter my s/s #, $ amt of refund and that I filed as Single.  It was the way to ID me, not a problem.  

This better not happen next year!

Respected Contributor

My daughter finally just got hers yesterday. Direct deposit. Yours should be coming soon.

Trusted Contributor

@jpie wrote:
Are You Still Waiting For a Tax Refund?

I had a CPA firm prepare and e-file my state taxes before the April 18 deadline this year and still have not received my Missouri state tax refund!  

I wish I could have filed earlier, but we did not get some of my investment information and forms until the middle of March. Even so, as of today, no state refund!  I remember the good old days when I was able to get a refund by early March.

There was a news blurb from a local TV station stating that this was the case, but they were supposed to have it to tax payers no later than June 6!  

I think they have 90 days, but I am getting frustrated!

My federal tax refund came back within two or three weeks!

@jpieThere use to be a phone number you could call to get an update.

Respected Contributor

I"ll give them one more week and then start investigating!
Honored Contributor

I filed mine in March and I'm still waiting for my $50 in Georgia.  This is the first year they owe me.  They cashed my check in about 3 weeks the past decade.  Now my turn and I'm still hand out after 3 months.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope, I (almost) NEVER get a refund - I always plan to owe less than $1,000 (federal) and $500 (state) so I don't get hit with an underpayment penalty.  It's essentially an interest-free loan, so why let the gov't get their money before they have to? 

The one time I got a refund from MD, it came within 10 days!

I know the IRS was delaying refunds for ppl who filed for the EITC.  There are some states (e.g., UT) that hold on to refunds until they match up documents first.  These are intended to deter fraud.

Tax returns can also be garnished in certain circumstances (e.g., student loan default).

IIRC, IL delayed refunds greater than a certain amount due to their budget impasse?

Honored Contributor

If you filed around April 18, it doesn't surprise me that there is a delay.  A large number of people wait until the last minute.