Valued Contributor

Snowpuppy that  is exactly what I was thinking today after reading all of these thoughts, I need to get my "house" out of storage and get settled. Until then I don't believe I can move on. Everything has been temporary up to this point. Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

One of my & DH's fears is that one day one of us will be left to carry on!! Frankly,that scares the heck out of me!! I could never part with my home.We raised our son in this house.It's full of wonderful memories!! 

I have a widowed neighbor who attends a local group for seniors.She has made friends through the group.They go to the movies & dinner weekly.A few of them just took a cruise to Alaska!! In addition, the group also sponsors events like trips to the city to see plays,boat rides,day trips to Atlantic City etc.

Maybe you should check to see if there is a senior citizen group in your area. That would be a good way to get out of the house & keep busy.If you like it you can attend more often.

Good luck to you!! Please check back & let us know how you're doing!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

Snowpuppy that  is exactly what I was thinking today after reading all of these thoughts, I need to get my "house" out of storage and get settled. Until then I don't believe I can move on. Everything has been temporary up to this point. Thank you!

I've been there girl! My life on hold in a storage locker. You save everything after a loss. You're in a new place with a different life. 

Make a trip. Take some fresh boxes to take with you back home and trash bags to toss. A few boxes at a time if it's all you can manage. 

Blessings in your new adventure! Post back & let us know how you are.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

You have two grown children and yet you have no family?? I thought children were family??  NOt quite sure why you have to live in this cabin?  IF you sold the house you were in for 8 years did you not receive some money from that sale that would allow you to live somewhere else besides a cabin in the woods?  IF the cabin were to sell where would you go to live?

I was widowed a year ago next month.  I am 67.  MY husband was a only child and my only sibling died several years ago.  I have one child and 1 grandchild.  I live 20 minutes away from them but I have my own life.  I live in a over 55 age restricted community and have wonderful friends and neighbors.  I got myself a part time job not because I need the $$ but just to fill in 18 or so hours a week doing something I like.  THe hardest thing has been to adjust to having no real social life.  My husband and I traveled a great deal and were very active socially in our community but I find that attending these events without him is very difficult as they are couples orientated.  There is a widows/divorced/single woman's group in the community and we do go out together for dinner, plays etc but it is hardly the same.  HOwever it is what it is and you adjust.

Contributor

I don't remember where I heard this advice, but I always try to remember these three things  when things get difficult:

1. Meditate/( I pray)

2. Socialize

3. Keep a positive attitude

Hope this helps, God bless you.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all very much for some really great positive ideas. I will definitely update as the year progresses and I make those very big decisions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Limbo4now wrote:

Thank you all very much for some really great positive ideas. I will definitely update as the year progresses and I make those very big decisions. 

@Elom

{{{{hugs}}}}} remember start small,you do not have to do it all in 1 day.  Doing too much at first will overwhelm you and you may miss out on a something new and fun.Just give everyday a chance.You will be surprised . Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you move forward.

Honored Contributor

@Elom

In my "first" life (before marriage) I used to think about what lifestyle would make me happy if I had to face life alone without "the right one ever."

The dream was an A frame on Lake Lanier (in GA) with a tiny boat and my little dog. I'd lie in the boat (daydreams) with my dog and reading.

Also, I dreamed of a small, second-story apartment with white-covered flouncy overstuffed chairs.

@KathyPet

It is good to hear that you enjoy living in your center with its various activities.  Sometimes attitude makes a difference. I say this because the two family members we have had living in an independent center was/are too debilitated to enjoy.

DH and I should start ditching lots of "stuff" so a transition will be easier on all.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing!

Good luck!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~