Honored Contributor

Spring has Sprung at the Back Fence - May 2018

Welcome friends and visitors to the Back Fence for May.  The Back Fence is a place where we gather monthly to talk about this or that.  

Since it is May 1st, I feel confident that Spring has finally sprung in most areas of the country.  

Image result for daffodils and tulips along wooden fence

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Spring has Sprung at the Back Fence - May 2018

@Bird mama  Well, here in NE Ohio, at least things are looking up!  It's going to be 75 and sunny all day today, and in a few minutes I'll be going out to do some jogging in my shorts.  We've really been running behind here.  The trees are still bare, and the only flowers I see so far are daffodils, forsythia, and dandelions......lots of yellow!  I think the tree pollens will start to be a big problem now.......but I'll suffer through it!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

Things are looking up in Indiana too.  I was so afraid my dogwoods were dead but now you can see buds.  Don't know if they will be flowers or leaves but they look like the flower bud to me.  The Rose of Sharon tree that I had so brutally pruned looks alive too.  The one that really surprised me is my old fashioned lilac. I think it didn't survive.  Now I've got to get my sunroom floor cleaned and get the lounge chairs back where they belong. I brought them inside for the winter.  They are leather so must condition them.  

I put out the bird bath back In Service. I didn't see anything I liked better.  I would like something easier to clean. This seems to grow mold so easily.  But I guess the birdies can bathe and I can still keep looking.  

Did you use to leave flowers on neighbors doors when you were younger on May Day?    We would make construction paper baskets and put flowers in. We'd ring the doorbell and then run and hide nearby so we could see the expression on the receivers face.  They were never signed. Just an anonymous gift.  

Then we could walk to the park and swing on the upright swings on a pole that kinda looked like a maypole.   Kids today don't have the same freedom we had. Too many kooks around.  Happy May Day everyone!   

Esteemed Contributor

Working our way across the country, Nebraska is lovely today. It's upper 70's; perhaps 80. Then, we're in for a thunderstorm tonight. We need it. The farmers have been out in the fields and the wind has apparently been blowing the dust around badly. Allergies and people with breathing problem must remain inside in Omaha and Lincoln (don't know about the rest of the state). Anyway, a couple of massive accidents happened on I-80 due to black-out conditions on Sunday and Monday. One fatality. Bring on the rain! (My lawn will also be happy.) 

I'm in the second year of mini and small hosta plants! Have another 11 ordered. Just received three yesterday. What a fun and sweet collection it is turning out to be. Also joined an on-line group to share tips on growing and over-wintering these precious plants! Seems everyone becomes addicted . . . and think I'm going to be ready for a 12-step program by the end of this year. Smiley Happy

Lost my huge yellow mums this bitterly cold winter, which saddens me. I'll replace them. Iris, pyrocantha, dogwoods and peonies are looking fine. Surprise lilies keep trying, but seem to be battered by the weather this year. Amazing how tough all our beautiful flowers and shrubs really are! It has been a brutal winter. 

My grandson and DIL brought a May basket over last night! Brings back such sweet memories. HAPPY MAY DAY! Hope you baskets for blessed. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

SE Michigan - according to station WXYZ it's 82 degrees outside.  I just cracked a few windows open to get some fresh air.  It doesn't feel that hot to me.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama,

Just a beautiful day in New Jersey everyone! Enjoy your day, be well,

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/cute-sun-stock-image-vector-fun-41488582.jpg

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Working our way across the country, Nebraska is lovely today. It's upper 70's; perhaps 80. Then, we're in for a thunderstorm tonight. We need it. The farmers have been out in the fields and the wind has apparently been blowing the dust around badly. Allergies and people with breathing problem must remain inside in Omaha and Lincoln (don't know about the rest of the state). Anyway, a couple of massive accidents happened on I-80 due to black-out conditions on Sunday and Monday. One fatality. Bring on the rain! (My lawn will also be happy.) 

I'm in the second year of mini and small hosta plants! Have another 11 ordered. Just received three yesterday. What a fun and sweet collection it is turning out to be. Also joined an on-line group to share tips on growing and over-wintering these precious plants! Seems everyone becomes addicted . . . and think I'm going to be ready for a 12-step program by the end of this year. Smiley Happy

Lost my huge yellow mums this bitterly cold winter, which saddens me. I'll replace them. Iris, pyrocantha, dogwoods and peonies are looking fine. Surprise lilies keep trying, but seem to be battered by the weather this year. Amazing how tough all our beautiful flowers and shrubs really are! It has been a brutal winter. 

My grandson and DIL brought a May basket over last night! Brings back such sweet memories. HAPPY MAY DAY! Hope you baskets for blessed. 

@BirkiLady  I am a bit of a Hosta addict also.  Last year, I bought many mini Hostas, but also have giants.  Zulily is offering, today, sets of Hostas, three, six, nine, twelve, and eighteen, very inexpensively, so I decided to try a set, though I normally look all over for special Hostas.  I told myself I wouldn't buy any this year, but I have bought about eighteen, maybe a few more.  I want to have many in pots, and the giants in the ground.  I just wish they would grow faster than they do.

Honored Contributor

We had another fairly warm day yesterday and I was able to open windows in the house and get some fresh air.  I love open windows.  According to the thermostat in the house, it was 80 degrees last night.  I'd hoped to leave a couple of the upstairs windows cracked open for the night however, when I saw the lightening around 10 pm, I said, nope, gotta close them.  Thankfully, the severe storms passed my part of the state last night.  

It's going to be a rainy couple of days and we needed it.  

Trusted Contributor

We had the lovely warm weather too and also the rain.  There was lots of lightening but just rain here. Got my sunroom floor cleaned and it feels lovely to have a clean shiny floor again.  

It it was amazing how dry we were but the flowers are really trying to burst forth and I can actually see the pink on my dogwood.  

Respected Contributor

Betty do you use your "Sunroom" more these days than when you first had it? In other words can you now use it all year "round? I remember when you were doing that room - long time ago now.

Going to be a hot one today and tomorrow even hotter. 

Ricky has been an angel but still cannot figure out why he does not get to sleep until super late these days. It was midnight last night and he had no nap. He was good but just not going to sleep. I have to keep a better eye on him to make sure he is OK. That little guy has had so many uncomfortable moments in his short life - makes me shed tears on occasion.

Going to pick up Leah today and then the house will be jumping again. At least the weather is pretty enough they can play outside a good portion of the day - LOL - that sure helps.

Hope all have a great day.