Contributor

Peppermint oil works great!  You can apply it straight up or add to water in a spray bottle. It's safe for humans, pets, etc.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of spiders and am lucky we don't really have a problem where we live. 

But, I do want to warn you about insecticides.  I got reamed out on another thread because I'm against herbicides (Roundup et al.) 

Insecticides are worse.  They are given as a reason for Parkinson's and other causes for people to get 'tremors'. 

Just be careful with using them in your home.  That's all!

Valued Contributor

Peppermint oil repels spiders ,ants and bugs , they go elsewhere , they hate peppermint , Oput peppermint oil in a spray bottle diluted and spray around often. its cheap and safe.

Super Contributor

Just the other day I read about vinegar. Seems the acid in it burns them. I can attest that vinegar can burn the Dickenson out of a cut, I clean with vinegar and often forget that my hands crack on top. Smiley Mad

It's safe for you, should you breath in the over spray, cheap, and you could wash your windows after. Smiley Wink 

***Note, use a small spray bottle, and pour excess back into the large bottle (rinse the spray bottle too). Vinegar will break down the rubber gasket on the spray nozzle. Learnt this the hard way.***

Respected Contributor

I live by water and spiders are inevitable. Ick. I go on-line to but something called Spider-Not, manufactured by Nott Products. Really! works like a charm and keeps them away for a long time.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I live by water and spiders are inevitable. Ick.

I go on-line to but something called Spider-Not, manufactured by Nott Products. (Really!) Works like a charm and keeps them away for a long time.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

My neighbor and her husband called the exterminator.  They could not sit outside without the dang things falling all over them.  We have them as well but this spring our problem has been carpet bees and wasps.  We can't get rid of them no matter how much insecticide we spray. 

After having a lot of trouble with carpenter bees, I read up on them and tried the following.  Wait until dusk when all the bees have returned to the nest.  Then spray (a spray shot type) right into the hole.  Then put some masking tape over the hole.  If you have any questions about the carpenter bees, don't hesitate to ask!  Good luck!