Respected Contributor

@Jo1313 , many years ago, I lived in the sticks too, and was overrun with spiders.

My dad said it was because we had so many trees overhanging the house.

I thought it looked romantic, but my dad was right.

We cut the overhanging branches, and as my dad said "let God's sunshine get at the house & cure it".

Presto.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

Re: Spiders and webs

[ Edited ]

Glue traps are inhumane and outlawed is some areas. 

Respected Contributor

You can try this mix: 50/50 white vinegar/ water and 15-20 drops of Peppermint oil.  Vacuum throughly then spray the  window sills and all around the floor.

Plug up every hole and crack. We have baseboard heat on an old house and the registers are old and they drilled holes and left gaps for the duct work. Used caulk and wood putty to seal cracks.  You could try placing chunks of Irish Spring soap wrapped in dryer sheets.   maybe put this in old pantyhouse for spider sachet.

Avoid AC window units.  They were the Holland Tunnel here for the 8-legged freaks. (we put in a mini-split for HVAC. Very quiet and cools great and the heat pump setting  saves on oil)

Spiders are in new construction homes and old homes. You can't avoid them.  i have a spider phobia...i hate them!!   

Spraying with Home Defense around the foundation has been helping  a LOT with the critters.

Make sure they aren't brown recluse spiders, those are deadly. 

Honored Contributor

Terrified of spiders.

Literally sold a home (a rental) because of one instance with just one spider.