Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spent An Hour Trying to Find an Outfit for Tonight

Wow, just wow.  I may have tried to slap a smile on my face in the beginning with this woman, but I am sorry, no one should have to take years verbal abuse.

Life is short.  When that old biddy threw food on the floor I would have told her she needed serious help and walked out.

If any of my relatives treated my husband like that there would have been h*ll to pay.

Honored Contributor

None of us walk in another's shoes.  While I do not advocate taking abuse, as someone above stated you can't really change people.

When it comes to relationships, especially family, sometimes there are things one needs to let go and not confront--doing that only makes it worse.  And in today's ever increasingly nasty world, I do admire and respect people who do not have to confront bullies back every time.

So I'm glad the dinner went off without major incident, and the OP can feel good about herself for avoiding further family distress for her sacrifice and good behavior.  Sometimes that's just what we need to do.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

I told you I could go on and on about her......here's another good one!

We were are a family restaurant and the first time ever she ordered a hamburger.  She was mumbling that she wanted mustard.  When the waitress came back to the table, my father-in-law asked the waitress for the mustard.  Well, it was busy, and the waitress forgot. 

The step-mother-in law got so angry she threw the hamburger on the floor!!!    The waitress came back later realizing she forgot the mustard and the step-mother-in-law said no need - don't want it any more.  The waitress saw the hamburger on the floor and said she was so sorry, offered to bring a new hamburger, etc.  Step-mother-in-law said "don't bother".   We all tried telling the waitress that it's okay, no need to be sorry, etc. but you could tell she was upset. My father-in-law did get up later and talked to the waitress on the side.

she definitely has mental health issues...too bad they weren't addressed a long time ago....

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@Love my grandkids , a husband of one of her friends told her to her face that she was a "Rich B---h".   (The word I did not spell out rhymes with witch).

She told us and she acted so shocked that someone would call her that.  She never spoke to her friend or the friend's husband again!

Lucky them!

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Hi @Anonymous032819 , I really don't think I could ever impress her. 

I need to try to boost my confidence, and that's the main reason why I want to try to look good ......at least look good in my eyes!   :-)

@BunSnoop  It hurts my heart to hear about how your mil treats you and speaks to you.  There is no excuse for that.  While clothes may be a small start to helping boost your confidence, I hope you will work on your inner self to realize you are valuable and beautiful, and that no one can make you feel badly about yourself.  To that end, why not try saying Positive Affirmations every morning when you wake up?  Stand in front of the mirror and say out loud, "I am strong. I am beautiful. I am intelligent. No one can shatter my confidence" -- or any phrase that has meaning for you.  It may sound silly, but affirmations have been proven to work.  Do this religiously and after some time, it becomes part of your psyche.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.