Trusted Contributor

Special memories with a spoon.

In the kitchen drawer where my everyday silverware is kept lives a very special spoon....and when I reach in randomly for a spoon, sometimes it ends up in my hand. You see, it's a spoon that came from my mom's house many years ago (RIP, mom) . I used it thousands of times and somehow was lucky enough to acquire her spoon when things were being divided up after her death 29 years ago. What's in a spoon you ask? Memories, memories, memories...of laughter at the table, special occasions and not so special occasions, cooking together, the list goes on and on. My suggestion to you is - if you are a sentimentalist like I am, don't overlook the smallest of things that can tie you back to days gone by...be lucky like me and 'get yourself a spoon' !

Frequent Contributor

Re: Special memories with a spoon.

I have a fork. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda, Your sweet post touched my heart.  Like you, I am very sentimental.  My mother has been gone for almost 13 years now.  I have one of her spoons and use it every morning when I make my coffee.  Mom loved her coffee, and I do too, so it is a special tribute to her.  Miss her so much.

As the only daughter, I inherited her jewelry.  A few pieces even from my great-grandmother.  I wear my grandmother’s engagement diamond, passed onto my mom, and then me, on my right hand.  Never take it off except to clean it.  My DD has a few spoons from my DH’s mother she treasures.  

Thank you for sharing your lovely memories.

Contributor

sarahpanda   I totally understand your thoughts and feelings regarding your Mother and her spoon.  My Motther made lots of really great pies through my growing up years and her wood rolling pin has a place of honor in our kitchen.  It's like her presence is always with me.  Rest in God's peace all good, dear and much loved Mothers.  

Honored Contributor

Years ago, we had a very rare meal at my aunt and uncle's house.  I was using a spoon to put salad dressing on and the shape stopped me so I looked at it.

The spoon was part of the set my wonderful grandmother used!  

That feeling was one of the best gifts I have ever received.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda   How wonderful to have a tangible rememberance of your Mom in that special spoon. 

Trusted Contributor

My memories of a spoon, when my sister and I were young and when one of us would accidentally drop a tea spoon on the floor while drying dishes, etc., my mom would say, uh-oh, company is coming, meaning someone will be stopping by and we will have to make a pot of coffee, get cups and spoons out, and sure enough, there would be a knock on the door.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My special memory with a spoon happened so so many years ago. It involved a Campbell Kid Soup spoon that were giveaways if you sent in so many labels from cans sent in for a spoon. My two sisters did this just like I did, the spoons finally arrived. They had the little Campbell Kid girl on the handle end, so cute.

Well, I asked my Dad if he could bend it gently enough for me to wear it as a bracelet and so he did. It was the first piece of jewelry my Dad ever gave to me!!!!! You get my drift on this!!Unfortunately I no longer have this treasure in so many ways. If I think about it, I am sure my mother found it among my little treasures and threw it away, this is what she did.

Esteemed Contributor

Nice story @sarahpanda .  I don't have a spoon but I have an angel that sat on my mom's dresser for as far back as I can remember.  She now sits on my dresser and hopefully on my daughters someday.  My mom's been gone 10 years now.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

In my case with the spoon, when mom had it at her house, along with her other silverware, it was just an 'ordinary everyday run- of- the- mill' spoon.  Who would have ever thought that this spoon would be so very special.  Take heed friends - what isn't all that important to you now just might become a real treasure later on.