Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of manners from another thread..do you

Have to admit, it always seemed a little odd for a person to apologize ("excuse me") when they have the right-of-way.  Nevertheless, as they say, good manners grease the wheels of society.

Honored Contributor

All the time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Yes, I do.  If nothing else, I'm very polite.  I even say excuse me to my dog when I need to step over him or in front of him or whatever.  Woman Very Happy

That's cute.

My husband does that.  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  I also make it a point to let someone bending/leaning with their back to me know I am passing behind them so they don't back up into my cart or me.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Yes. Always.  I was taught Southern manners, and this is one of the big ones.

Contributor

Excuse me,please,thankyou and if offering instructions say the persons name first. That makes it a request, not a demand...

Respected Contributor

I am very polite. My cat sometimes gets under my feet & stepped on her. I kept telling her I am so sorry, are you OK?  Even say excuse me to her when she is in my way.

Honored Contributor

Oh yes!  Manners are very important to me.  I will always say 'excuse me' or sometimes if I am passing behind somebody I will say 'behind you' so that they don't back up without knowing I'm there.

I say please and thank you.   I was just thinking about this yesterday.   I don't see a lot of 'please' or 'thank you' anymore.   IMO, these are just the very basic of social graces.

I also smile at people as we pass each other.  Sometimes it will make somebody feel better to have someone smile at them.  OTOH, some people just look at you like 'what are you looking at me for?'.   Oh wel, that's on them, not me.  I especially started noticing that with younger people after I had grown up and kids weren't as polite anymore, in general.    Most people will smile back or at least not look perturbed.   I will still continue to be polite.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

I have the same manners and show the same respect I was taught by my mother back in the 1940's. I have not, and will not change that part of my life.

Yes, excuse me/thank you/you're welcome are still a part of my vocabulary as much as they were decades ago. My whole family was taught manners by my mother and none of us have ever changed.

I believe that if instilled and practiced by a parent, most children will follow. For me the saying "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", is applicable when it comes to manners and showing respect for those that deserve it.

Unfortunately many of the courtesies and manners of past generations are disappearing, and it is very unfortunate for everyone.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

My pet peeve in the grocery store is when one person takes up the whole aisle because they parked their cart on one side and they're looking for something on the other side.  No one, either way, can get through.  And this same person is oblivious to what is going on!  Grrrrrrr.  I usually don't say anything.  I stand there until they finally notice me and move, and I do not say thank you.