Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of hot flashes....

I never had a hot flash or night sweats.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have the hot flashes.  I don't carry on about them though.  I don't think I know of those who constantly carry on about them.  If they do, I don't want to know them as it's something that is different for everyone. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I have them. And yes, they can be bad and ruin your day. I was out to dinner the other night and was in a full sweat. Not fun! It does happen, not sorry!! Those of us who suffer can complain all we want. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@LonestarBabs wrote:

@chrystaltree - yep, both ovaries intact. That's why it was a "partial." Oh well, it'll pass at some point. Giving thanks for fans -- especially those portable, battery-operated ones! And A/C in the car -- I live in TX and don't need more heat indoors or outside.

In that case you will go through menopause like any other women.  The good part is you won't have any period issues with it because you don't have your uterus.  So, the medical professional in me is coming out now...lol   There is no such thing as a partial hysterectomy, that is not a medical term.  You had a hysterectomy.  They left your ovaries intact. If they had taken your uterus and your ovaries; it would have been a hysterectomy and oophorectomy.   Just the ovaries and not the uterus would be an oophorectomy. 

There are different types of hysterectomies.

The medical term for a partial is a supracervical or subtotal hysterectomy.  In that instance the upper part of the uterus is removed and the cervix is left.

A total hysterectomy removes the whole uterus and the cervix.

There is also a radical hysterectomy and that procedure removes the whole uterus, tissue on the sides of the uterus, the cervix and the top part of the ******.

Honored Contributor

I was estrogen dominant so go look up those symptoms. I had almost all of them. I had hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, irritability, crying for no reason, bloating, weight gain, etc. etc. since my 40's. I thought I was finished with it all until I started getting all these symptoms back except & flashes & sweats. I'm still hot all the time though. I stopped using Emerita progesterone cream & started feeling better. I started taking Andrew Lessman's Women's Wellness & so far so good. I am feeling better. I had to find something to try & balance my hormones. I did not want to go the BHRT where I would have to continually go to the doctor & have labs done.

I had all they 7 Dwarves of Menopause + more except the Itchy. Never had that problem.

7 Dwarfs of Menopause.jpg

Respected Contributor

I started being overly warm when I was in my 30s & now 68 with no change.  Did not have hot flashes or night sweats during menopause; just too warm most of the time.  I don't make a big deal out of it & just try to cope as best I can.  The benefit is that I can keep the thermostat pretty low during the winter.  The summer can be uncomfortable, but I love the season & just try to be where there's A/C or fans.

Honored Contributor

My friend had terrible hot flashes and depression so they started her on an antidepressant and - viola - the hot flashes stopped as well as the depression. She got a 2 fer. As a matter of fact she is cold all the time now and her psychiatrist said her antidepressant sometimes has that effect.

Valued Contributor

I was told by my dr that I went into premature menopause induced by extreme stress.  My period stopped at 48.   I'm now 53 and have hot flashes, not horrible ones, but they are a nusance and can be overwhelming since I live in a hot climate.

My dear mother had been on premarin for many years.  She had a hysterectomy at age 36 and was taken off the hormone at 80.  Can you believe they kept her on it that long?   

She started having hot flashes after the premarin stopped.  She would laugh and say, "I'm 80 years old dammit, I should be entitled to no more female issues at this age."   I think they could be hereditary.

I can never be cold enough.   I'd rather pile on the jackets or blankets than ever be warm.  I never turn my heat on in winter (I live in S. CA and it does get cold in the winter months).   I just wear sweats and have 2 comforters and I'm in heaven!!    Love to be cold!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate the bloating!   I can't fit into any of my former pants or skirts!  I'm job hunting now and nothing fits.   I'm very active and very athletic, but have a bloat.   

Anyone have any good ways to combat it?   Ugh... just hate it.

I do take Ultimate Flora Probiotics and don't eat a lot of sugar.   But, it's there no matter how much I work out.

Honored Contributor

@Frosted Cake wrote:

I hate the bloating!   I can't fit into any of my former pants or skirts!  I'm job hunting now and nothing fits.   I'm very active and very athletic, but have a bloat.   

Anyone have any good ways to combat it?   Ugh... just hate it.

I do take Ultimate Flora Probiotics and don't eat a lot of sugar.   But, it's there no matter how much I work out.

I take probiotics too. ITA if you are having hot flashes & night sweats to stay away from the sugar. It makes it worse.

Have you tried digestive enzymes for the bloating? I take them along with eating smaller meals throughout the day & eating slower.