Honored Contributor

Re: Spaghetti, am I the only one?

@Shanus wrote:

@AuntG wrote:
More of a year round thing for us. I use fresh garden tomatoes in the sauce during summer.

@AuntG   It's a comfort food at our house. I use whole wheat spaghetti which is OK for me, but makes DH's lip curl up.

@Shanus I don't care for whole wheat pasta either but only because it is too firm, much like whole wheat bread is too dense for me.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@AuntG wrote:
More of a year round thing for us. I use fresh garden tomatoes in the sauce during summer.

@AuntG   It's a comfort food at our house. I use whole wheat spaghetti which is OK for me, but makes DH's lip curl up.

@Shanus I don't care for whole wheat pasta either but only because it is too firm, much like whole wheat bread is too dense for me.

@Icegoddess   You're correct, but both are lower in carbs and high in fiber. I figure it's like eating medicine w/ meat sauce.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I can’t say that I think of spaghetti with meat sauce ( or any other pasta dish) as a cold weather food. We like to eat it year round. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

I have found if I cook any whole wheat pasta more than the time on the package, cooking it very well, no one can tell it is whole wheat! Truly! I like it much better that way too. Once when I didnt cook it enough I didnt care for the wheat taste.  But whole wheat pasta is all I use now!Woman Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I have found if I cook any whole wheat pasta more than the time on the package, cooking it very well, no one can tell it is whole wheat! Truly! I like it much better that way too. Once when I didnt cook it enough I didnt care for the wheat taste.  But whole wheat pasta is all I use now!Woman Very Happy

@CherryHugs   Pre-diabetic here...at least that's what doc calls it. Not type 2, but both parents had it and A1C tests come out high normal. I've stayed on diabetic diet (with a cheat here or there 😜) for the last 20 yrs. Whole wheat pasta & bread are my go tos, so I guess I've gotten used to it. Many restaurants offer it now and w/ so many people w/ gluten sensitivities, there are pastas made w/ other grains, too that are not full on flour. I take mine out al dente and leave DH's in the water until almost mush. 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

No, I can’t say that I think of spaghetti with meat sauce ( or any other pasta dish) as a cold weather food. We like to eat it year round. 

@shoesnbags   Love pasta w/ fresh spring/summer veggies.

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark wrote:

My father was Italian, and a chef, we had it as a side dish for practically every meal. Woman LOL

@MarkeieMark 

That's how the Italians do it.  Many courses at the typical Italian dinner.  A real story:

I am half Italian, but didn't follow this tradition.  I invited an Italian girl and her husband for dinner once and served turkey tetrazinni, an Italian salad, homemade rolls, a homemade cheesecake, and a great red wine.  I put a lot of effort into it. candles on the table, the whole formal bit.

As I began to serve the dessert, this gal looked at me and angrily said "Where's the meat?"  I answered it was in the turkey tetrazinni.  She was extremely insulted and I must say the rest of the dinner did not go well.  They left right after the dinner and I never saw her again.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

I don't make it alot, but here its year round.

Respected Contributor

I have spaghetti throughout the year but I'm in VA and we've had a bad drought the last couple months  - well they've said today it's gonna rain all day and we can expect 1 to 2 inches and the temp here is cooler.  I'm sitting here thinking it's a good day for a nice comfort meal like soup or spaghetti!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

When I grew up, we had spaghetti or some other pasta dish EVERY Thursday and Sunday just like all of my Italian friends.

it's always been a year around dish for me.

@Carmie   In an Italian househole (In New York anyway) we had spaghetti EVERY single Thursday and Sunday.  It was a ritual.  I still do it to this day.  We love our pasta.....