Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@doxie1 - Those palmetto bugs are something aren't they, lol. I love my exterminator! Not a fan of the snakes and I do see several per week. But I do love those gators and taking pictures of them!

We call them sewer roaches in Arizona. Probably not the same thing but they look alike. They come up from the drains. Our cities spray our sewers periodically to kill them. Could put a saddle on them. 

Respected Contributor

@Elom 

I can understand how things become such big decisions. Your daughter is blessed to have you. Summerville has a lot of pros to it. It is close to the beach and Charleston. You have a lot of culinary adventures and historic outings. Summerville seems like a smaller town than Charleston but that seems to be changing. It is a fast growing area.

Living in Florida,you know about the pests! Let us know what you decide.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@riley1 

My first experience with palmetto bugs was in Charleston. I was staying with friends in the downtown area. I heard a noise outside and went to check. I walked outside and heard a strange humming sound. I looked up and saw what I thought was a humming bird flying toward me. I smiled thinking how much I loved humming birds.

As it got closer to me I noticed it did not have the beak. While my brain was processing this information the "humming bird " hit me in the head. That is when my brain recognized it was not a humming bird as I knew one. This is when you get instant religion by calling on Jesus to help you. My friend heard the commotion and came out to rescue me. She got me in the house and I said. "what was that?". She informed me it was just a "lil ol palmetto bug". I said that looked like a flying cockroach. She said it was.

Then she warned me that late at night they sometimes are scratching at the door to come in. I did not believe her and had to check.

I opened the door and there was a swarm of them outside the perimeter of the house. They had exterminators that sprayed to keep them away from the house.

The other thing that amazed me in Charleston was the sand fleas. These big fleas are living in the sand waiting for a victim.

I do like my exterminator. I tip him well.

I have my share of gator stories. They are amazing but I do not want them at my back door.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@riley1 wrote:

@doxie1 - Those palmetto bugs are something aren't they, lol. I love my exterminator! Not a fan of the snakes and I do see several per week. But I do love those gators and taking pictures of them!

We call them sewer roaches in Arizona. Probably not the same thing but they look alike. They come up from the drains. Our cities spray our sewers periodically to kill them. Could put a saddle on them. 

Hahaha

We had some giant "palmetto bugs" at Santee that were big enough to saddle. I had to apply stuff to my horse to keep them off him.

Sewer roaches sounds like an appropriate name. 

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 - OMG I'm still LOL on that palmetto bug story. I've seen NYC roaches (which are no small things) but when I saw my first palmetto bug I could have died. I saw one zip by me one night in the laundry room - thank goodness hubby left his big ol' shoes there - that was the last that bug saw of the light, lol.

They just give me chills. As long as I see the snakes first, I'm ok - I just give them plenty of room. Every now and again, one gets into the garage so I'm always on the lookout.

Honored Contributor

@Elom ....When and if you decide to move there is a web site that helps you calculate the cost of living in the new location vs your current location.  Friends used it when they moved across the country.

Respected Contributor

A lot depends on what they want to be near like a beach, age, still working, have children etc. etc.  We live in Florida and my husband hated South Carolina except for a visit to Charleston.  Then we went to Greenville, SC and he wanted to move there.  They should research and spend some time there.