Valued Contributor

My daughter and son in law are thinking of relocating to Nexton SC a suburb of Somerville and near Charleston. I have been doing a lot of reading about the area. Currently we live in Florida. Can anyone weigh in pros or cons about that area. 

Honored Contributor

@Elom I would only suggest you go to the city's website and check that out for more info. Even small towns have them now. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I hear cost of living in Charleston area is very high. 

Honored Contributor

My sister and BIL lived for about 7 years in Summerville.  He grew up there and spent his life until his 50's there.  Wonderful community.  Very "Mayberry" like, yet they went into Charleston for day trips.

I wouldn't have any problem living there because I could get to shopping and resturants nearby.

Esteemed Contributor

I've heard the cost of living isn't bad, probably average. I have a friend who's been trying to sell his house for the past 6 months. No takers. I think it's to expensive but having never been there maybe it's fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Elom - It is Summerville, SC which is a suburb of Charleston. Charleston county is an expensive county to reside in. What kind of work do they do for a living. Charleston is a huge tourist area. The pay scale in SC is low. Summer weather is extremely hot & humid.

Respected Contributor

@Elom 

Are you moving there as well? I think that Nexton is the name of a community in Summerville instead of an incorporated city.

I think your reading has probably given you a wide view of the area. Summerville itself has a higher crime rate than Charleston. The cost of living in Summerville is lower that Charleston but it is changing. Summerville used to be an awesome town. Now it seems to struggle with being the outskirts of Charleston.

If you are used to Florida then the summer will not bother you on the coast of SC.

I have people that live in other states that are convinced that we have hurricanes , tornado and floods weekly. They also think we have snakes slithering on the streets constantly in herds

Charleston and Summerville are located on a fault line.

We do have insects so you get an exterminator. We do have snakes but they are not everywhere.We have palmetto bugs. They sound cute but they are giant flying cockroaches that will ring the doorbell. A good exterminator keeps the unwelcome mat out for them.

We have some mosquitoes that are impressive. Again you love your exterminator.

Yes you need to realize that alligators can be in bodies of water.

For the Nexton community I would look at the quality of the construction. I am not familiar with it but some companies tend to use cheaper materials that make the home not as durable.

Pros

There is  a lot of history in the area and a lot to do. You are within driving distance to the beach. The winters are mild.

No snow shoveling

You are close to Charleston with unlimited things to do.

I love South Carolina and North Carolina

doxie

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the input. @doxie1 kind of chuckled at your advice on pests. Well I am a firm beliver in using extimenators living in Florida. I hate snakes but they are everywhere.

i am considering moving with them as my daughter is on disability and needs some help. Her husband is in management positions at CVS. I am also thinking long term as down the road I may not to be living far away from family. Very hard decision for sure.

thank you again. Since my husband passed on it seems everything is a mind boggling decision. I pray a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

@doxie1 - Those palmetto bugs are something aren't they, lol. I love my exterminator! Not a fan of the snakes and I do see several per week. But I do love those gators and taking pictures of them!

Valued Contributor

If you are seriously considering getting into Nexton, do it like yesterday. Those property values are on the way up, and probably in record time. The medical facilities under construction in that area, as well as the Volvo/Mercedes Benz and Boeing and CHS airport down the road are making Nexton real estate an attractive option for all those employees. I-26 is unpleasant during weekday rush hours, hence everyone would prefer to move closer to their  employers and avoid it entirely. 

A lot of planning is going into this new community with improved shopping and restaurants (and again, great medical care). I think if you buy now you'll get a great deal and quite a return on your investment. 

As far as Charleston goes....absolutely love it. You have the gorgeous beaches close by, historical amazing buildings and architecture, and excellent restaurants and entertainment. It reminds me in many ways of St. Augustine (another area I love).

Another bonus! SC is a relatively small state. Nothing is 4 hours away lol.....you can hit the smokey mountains, sunny Atlantic shores, and some of the best lake and river recreation in between.

Best of luck to your family, in whatever they decide Smiley Happy 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon