Esteemed Contributor

Re: Something that used to scare you, but no longer does?

@qualitygal wrote:

@151949 wrote:

After working sometimes in a burn unit FIRE scares me.It never did before that but it does now.

I have always been afraid of dying in a fire.  No idea why.  I would say that's similar to how Natalie Wood feared the water.  

I have always been afraid of dying in a plane crash....like you say  "no idea why"....maybe in another life...although not a believer in reincarnation.........needless to say i did fly a few times in my younger years......petrified....i no longer have a reason to fly....and wouldn't anymore...

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

On the flip side of this question.  I used to love sitting by a campfire, roasting marshmallows, etc.  Now, after my family survived a house fire ~ Twice ~ I am afraid of lit birthday candles in the house.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake wrote:

Public speaking. It used to paralyze me. When I taught, I dreaded the first day of classes and it took me a while to get comfortable. I would also turn down invitations to speak on subjects I was knowledgeable about because of fear. However, one day I tried to nail down what was upsetting me so about public speaking. It made me angry that my answers were lame. Sooooo, whenever I felt stage fright coming on, instead of embracing the emotion of fear I'd focus on being generally annoyed. Fear emotion was overriden or replaced by a more cavalier, or carefree emotion. I'd be into the first 5 minutes of speaking and notice I didn't experience fear, which allowed me to relax. Since that time I've given presentations to small groups as well as large groups with much less stress and dread. You've got to find your own remedy. Public speaking isn't fun, but I no longer fear it. 

Alligators? They freak me out and I haven't had bad experiences. 

You definitely don’t want go move go my neighborhood here in Florida. Four days ago a woman was walking her dogs in a park in my area and she was killed by a massive 12.5’ gator. https://www.local10.com/news/florida/broward/body-of-woman-killed-by-alligator-in-davie-found

http://a57.foxnews.com/media2.foxnews.com/BrightCove/694940094001/2018/06/08/0/0/694940094001_579532...

Respected Contributor

The list of things that scare me has grown over the years and nothing has come off the list.  I guess I need help.