Honored Contributor

Re: Something that used to scare you, but no longer does?

@TX-starlight wrote:

Dying....I used to be terrifed of dying. Now, it doesn't bother me. I know I'll be in a better place. 

Me too. At this point the benefits of dying outweigh the negatives.

Honored Contributor

Losing my parents.   

Esteemed Contributor

Public speaking. It used to paralyze me. When I taught, I dreaded the first day of classes and it took me a while to get comfortable. I would also turn down invitations to speak on subjects I was knowledgeable about because of fear. However, one day I tried to nail down what was upsetting me so about public speaking. It made me angry that my answers were lame. Sooooo, whenever I felt stage fright coming on, instead of embracing the emotion of fear I'd focus on being generally annoyed. Fear emotion was overriden or replaced by a more cavalier, or carefree emotion. I'd be into the first 5 minutes of speaking and notice I didn't experience fear, which allowed me to relax. Since that time I've given presentations to small groups as well as large groups with much less stress and dread. You've got to find your own remedy. Public speaking isn't fun, but I no longer fear it. 

Alligators? They freak me out and I haven't had bad experiences. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Mr. Peanut.  

Used to be a bigger than life size mascot walking on the boardwalk in Atlantic City.  Was too afraid to tell my parents that I was scared of him.  And naturally, they would always take me up to see him up close.  And this big huge peanut would bend down and it was just weird.

Don't worry, I've overcome it.Woman Tongue

Trusted Contributor

Driving.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Being visible. As an introvert until a junior in high school(all my fat years). Now? I think anyone here that reads a few of my posts will get this response to the question asked.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just had a chance to read through all the responses.  I have to agree with @QVCkitty1 that the difference is I've learned do things that scare me, moreso than I was willing to do when I was young.

I probably should also mention all things Peter Pan.... especially Captain Hook. That movie scared me silly when I was little. To this day, I've never finished watching it and don't plan on it anytime soon.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

After working sometimes in a burn unit FIRE scares me.It never did before that but it does now.

I have always been afraid of dying in a fire.  No idea why.  I would say that's similar to how Natalie Wood feared the water.  

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I just had a chance to read through all the responses.  I have to agree with @QVCkitty1 that the difference is I've learned do things that scare me, moreso than I was willing to do when I was young.

I probably should also mention all things Peter Pan.... especially Captain Hook. That movie scared me silly when I was little. To this day, I've never finished watching it and don't plan on it anytime soon.

@house_cat, When I was a kid I was afraid of Smokey the Bear. He was so stern when he admonished us not to start forrest fires. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Turning 50.  I'm almost 60 now so 50 doesn't scare me at all.