Honored Contributor

Re: Something I had not thought of on Mask disposal

I've only seen one or two masks laying on the ground, but it might be accidental, not intentional.  I often hook my reading glasses on my shirt collar.  Just the other day I got in my car after grocery shopping and couldn't find them to put in the tray where I keep them so they'll be handy.  Looked all over.  After I got home and put the groceries up, I made one last trip out to the car and found them laying in the well between the door and the seat, and that's not the first time that has happened.  But, they very well could've come off and fallen into the parking lot.  People take tham off as soon as they exit the store and stick them in a pocket  If they're not careful, it might not go far enough in and fall out of their pocket.

Esteemed Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

Yes, garbage bags do break. That's why I always cut up the plastic holders that soda cans come in. I've seen way too many photos of those wrapped around animals' and sea creatures' necks. Good suggestion on the masks. I had not even thought of that.  

I do that also! It is worth the extra 10-15 seconds it takes to do so; even if it saves just one of our animal friends. Seeing photos of fish, or birds entangled in them, breaks my heart.😐 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Thank you for bringing this to our attention @SeaMaiden .  I never even thought about it how could harm a bird, etc.  Great suggestion.

Honored Contributor

Not necessary, we put our trash in closed trash bags that are tied closed before disposal.  I don't believe anyone puts loose trash out for animals to get into.

Honored Contributor

@depglass 

It probably depends on where you live.  I live in a state in which we all wear masks, even when a masks isn't required.  It's just we we do now and I am being honest when I say that since this mask thing began, I have not ever seen a mask on the ground or in gutter.  Never.  

Honored Contributor

Just think about the poor person that has to go around and clean this up, in a grocery store parking lot, for example.  I hope they are instructed to wear gloves.  I'm not thinking of covid, but all the other flu type germs people have are "stuck" on those masks. I also see them around our local post office.  I live in an area where some  masking is done under protest and they immediately rip them off when they come out. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Not necessary, we put our trash in closed trash bags that are tied closed before disposal.  I don't believe anyone puts loose trash out for animals to get into.

@chrystaltreeNobody is saying trash is put out loose.  Do you really believe that your trash bags stay closed forever?

Over Your Head GIFs | Tenor

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  I guess you haven't lived near a woods. Racoon and bear easily rip open garbage bags and tip over trash containers. Raccoons were so bad in Canada they tried a so called Racoon resistant trash container in Quebec, I believe. The Racoons were so smart they figured it out.  

I have several wash and wear. I wash in a lingerie bag and air dry. The ones I have seen in parking lots both cloth and disposable are dropped mostly by accident.