Honored Contributor

Something I had not thought of on Mask disposal

With the throw away masks, cut the ear elastics before putting in trash....birds and other animals get them around their necks and legs. Such a simple thing to do and could make a huge  difference!   I never thought about that! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Something I had not thought of on Mask disposal

I find many discarded masks  on the street, in parking lots. Your advice is a good one.  My advice is for people to throw them out in appropriate places as in the trash. 

Honored Contributor

My trash is disposed of in a closed trash bag from my kitchen trash can and put directly into my trash bin for pickup every Wednesday. I don't feel the need to cut the elastics!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

My trash is disposed of in a closed trash bag from my kitchen trash can and put directly into my trash bin for pickup every Wednesday. I don't feel the need to cut the elastics!

@Love my grandkids   Trash bags eventually break....they end up in the land fill loose.

...many end up in our oceans.  Please take.  one second to do it! If everyone did it would be wonderful.

Honored Contributor

Same thing for those plastic  round things that go around multi packs of soda,water.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Yes, garbage bags do break. That's why I always cut up the plastic holders that soda cans come in. I've seen way too many photos of those wrapped around animals' and sea creatures' necks. Good suggestion on the masks. I had not even thought of that.  

Honored Contributor

Great idea!  

I always think about stuff like that when I put anything in my trash.   I remember back when you'd buy these 6packs of soft drinks or beer in a can and they had that plastic thing that surrounded each can together.   I would cut that thing up six ways to Sunday before tossing it because those were the cause of much animal distress.

I've heard so much, all over the country, with people seeing masks just tossed on the ground in parking lots and such.  Do they not teach people not to litter anymore or is it that (probably most likely) these folks just don't care?  /rhetorical

I have a thing about littering, but it seems like more and more people just don't care.  What a horrible shame.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Great idea!  

I always think about stuff like that when I put anything in my trash.   I remember back when you'd buy these 6packs of soft drinks or beer in a can and they had that plastic thing that surrounded each can together.   I would cut that thing up six ways to Sunday before tossing it because those were the cause of much animal distress.

I've heard so much, all over the country, with people seeing masks just tossed on the ground in parking lots and such.  Do they not teach people not to litter anymore or is it that (probably most likely) these folks just don't care?  /rhetorical

I have a thing about littering, but it seems like more and more people just don't care.  What a horrible shame.  Smiley Sad

@chickenbutt   So true! Just in my neighborhood on my walks I find so much trash....I pick up what I can....Carry a small trash bag  on my belt incase I come across bottles etc. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started wearing cloth masks months ago. I wash/rinse them when I come home. Less wastefull all the way around.

Honored Contributor

For the life of me I can't understand how people who wouldn't dream of littering normally think nothing of throwing out these masks anywhere they feel like it.