Honored Contributor

Does any one own one of these?  I 'think' I would like to have one but just not sure.

I cannot drink a can of pop or any other beverage in a can or bottle in one sitting so I thought I could make what I want on demand.

Any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

I personally don't have one, but my niece and her husband use one for seltzer water instead of buying bottles of selter.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Does any one own one of these?  I 'think' I would like to have one but just not sure.

I cannot drink a can of pop or any other beverage in a can or bottle in one sitting so I thought I could make what I want on demand.

Any thoughts?

@Mom2Dogs ,

Respectfully it appears like  someone's sales pitch is working on you...... you really do not need or probably want this at all.

Don't do it.

Valued Contributor

My sister in law has had one for a long time.  It sits on her counter -- they use it constantly -- and love it.

Trusted Contributor

I purchased one for my kids for Christmas partly because of what you identified that you don't finish an entire can.  The other reason to save on soda.  

For a single person the carbon canister will likely last quite a while.  4 kids using the Soda Stream everyday - the canister was depleted in 2 months.

Love the ease of use and convenience.  Love all of the flavors available.  Love that everyone has their own reusable bottle.

Honored Contributor

I have both a SodaStream and a Drinkmate.  We love both of them.  However, it's going to depend on your tastes.  You won't get an exact flavor profile as your favorite name-brand beverages.  

The reason we have both machines is a small part broke on our SodaStream rendering it inoperable after the warranty period.  SodaStream had already replaced a machine when it stopped working during the warranty period.  My husband spent quite awhile on the phone with Customer Service trying to troubleshoot the problem.  They are very simple devices, so it was odd that we couldn't figure out the problem.  But, they replaced it with no problem, so props to them for their Customer Service and warranty.  

After the small part broke, I used it as an excuse to buy a Drinkmate.  Hubby finally 3-D printed the broken part and fixed the SodaStream and he continues to use it to this day.  The difference between the two machines is this:  The SodaStream requires you to fizz only water and then you add the flavoring afterwards.  Since it doesn't have a way to control the release of the gas, fizzing something that is already flavored risks ending up with it all over your counters.  The Drinkmate has a special cap where you can release the gas quickly or slowly, so you can carbonate ANYTHING.  Since my favorite concoction is a mixture of Bai, Lemonade, and water it would be difficult to impossible to get the same results with the SodaStream.  

Both machines use the same cartridges interchangeably, and Drinkmate has an exchange program which also accepts the SodaStream cartridges.  Hubby still get's his refill cartridges from Bed Bath and Beyond I think.  I have a 5 lb CO2 canister hooked to mine, a hack that isn't approved by either manufacturer. 

Honored Contributor

I have the original one. Bought it when it first came out. It came with an assortment of flavors plus some extra bottles. I used it until I ran out of CO2 and now it sits in my back room collecting dust.

Honored Contributor

love my soda stream, especially when i have guests.

i like making club soda and tonic for cocktails.

i have had it for quite a long time now.....it is one of the original versions. if i remember correctly i purchased it from hsn. i get the refills at either best buy or bed, bath, beyond.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@hopi ...no one has gotten to me, I don't even remember seeing a commercial....just interested in drinking fizzy water that is not in a can since I cannot drink an entire can.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hopi ...no one has gotten to me, I don't even remember seeing a commercial....just interested in drinking fizzy water that is not in a can since I cannot drink an entire can.

@Mom2Dogs ... than why do you what it. Do you like fizzy water?