Respected Contributor

Social Security - Widow benefit question

Wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.  When I retired, I filed for my Social Security (age 62) and was told I could instead collect widow benefits from my husband's Social Security.  So I have worked 36 years and I'm wondering when will it switch to my own benefits and how will I know - will Social Security contact me?  I believe they told me I would collect whichever is larger, his or mine.  And how long can I collect on widow benefits (he died when he was in his 30s)?  Can anyone answer this for me?

Valued Contributor

Re: Social Security - Widow benefit question

Call SS And they'll walk you through it.  

Honored Contributor

The BEST thing you can do is phone or go into your local SS office and get the info directly from someone who knows.

People on the board can speculate but best to speak to a person in SS who can give the correct info as it pertains to your case.

Everyone's case is slightly different.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal 

I would check with the Social Security office if you have one locally. Or call them. You are right about whose S.S is larger is what you are entitled to. They don't automatically change it. My mother went through this when my father passed away. I'd check it out sooner than later. 

Honored Contributor

SSA can answer that for you and you have the secrity of knowing that you have a legitimate answer and not an opinion or outdated information.  

Trusted Contributor

@hoosieroriginal.  If you can go to your SS office.   I.signed up at 65 per the law but did not retire for 3 more years.   When I finally retired I was told I could have collected my deceased husband's SS while I was still working.   I didn't know that and of course SS does not usually volunteer information.  My husband passed young and my SS was greater so I get mine.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think the advice of going directly to the SS is the way to go.  It's best to get the right info ,  don't speculate or take advice that may or may not be correct.  Only thing I know is that you get whichever is higher and if both are collecting SS and one dies you are left with the one that's higher,  but not both any longer.  That's pretty sad as a lot of elderly can't survive on just the one check .  With ll the money Washington wastes and the elderly hsve to go without, think it's terrible.  

Honored Contributor

You can call ahead and get an appointment.  When you go in for your appointment, the rep who gets your case can answer more questions than you even know you have at this point!  Smiley Happy

Plus, there is lots of info on the website.  

Frequent Contributor

My husband passed away when I was 60.  I received a decreased amount of his benefit (decreased due to my age).  I continued to receive that benefit until I was 70 when I applied to receive my own.  I didn't apply before then because I thought my husband's benefit amount was more than mine due his salary being almost double what mine had been when he retired.  Imagine my surprise when I learned that my benefit at 70 was almost twice what I had been receiving due to the fact that it had increased each year that I had delayed receiving it.  I was informed that there are no more increases in SS benefits after age 70.  I do agree with other posters that you should go to a social security office and get the real scoop.  Hope this helps!

Occasional Contributor

I was in the same situation. My husband died at age 37. SS notified me when is was time to switch to benefits under my SS Number. If you have any question, call to verify. Also, there is a lot of info on their website.