Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: So irritated with medical center...

If you are talking about a bone dexometry or bone density test, then the tech was correct.  I was given those instructions this time I had one done.  I've had others in the past and nobody said anything about stopping the calcium and vit D.  I think the recommendations are fairly new.  Somebody should have mentioned this, however, before you drove all the way down there today.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I didn't need blood work I had taken my vitamin D and Calcium this morning and they did not tell me NOT to take the when I made the appointment.  I have had several bone scans this is the first time I have ever been asked about vitamins....

Honored Contributor

@NickNack ...I guess they have messed up every single time I have had the bone scan...I wonder how it changes the scan?

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@NickNack ...I guess they have messed up every single time I have had the bone scan...I wonder how it changes the scan?

As I understand it, if you are taking calcium and vit D that day, it makes the results somewhat inaccurate.

Valued Contributor

Here is an article from Berkley Wellness explaining this issue

If you’re scheduled to have a bone mineral density test that includes the spine, don’t take a calcium supplement beforehand.

Many clinics as well as the American College of Radiology advise this because of concern that inadequately dissolved calcium in the intestines could be picked up by DEXA scans of the spine and misleadingly improve the results.

Even though the concern is largely theoretical, and any effect is likely to be small, to be on the safe side, don’t take calcium pills (including antacids such as Tums) within 12 to 24 hours of bone density scans that will include the spine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@customerqvc2 ....I have osteoperosis in my hip.  It woud be good news to me if all the other bone scans I had were wrong since most likely I had taken my calcium and V D the day of the test.

It would have been so easy for them to send out via email/or My Chart the guidelines for the bone scan and any other test a person might be having.  It would sure save a lot of aggrivation.

thanks for the article you posted.

Esteemed Contributor

I just had a dexa scan and was informed not to take a calcium supplement beforehand. I'm surprised no one gave you the information. 

Also,the mammogram center always provides wipes if one forgets and uses deodorant. Some places need to do better with communication. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

I've had at least 5 DEXAs, and was told by the scheduler each time that I was not to take a calcium pill within 24 hours of the scan.

Honored Contributor

I have had them and never head this either. Sorry you had to go through this.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  I didn't need blood work I had taken my vitamin D and Calcium this morning and they did not tell me NOT to take the when I made the appointment.  I have had several bone scans this is the first time I have ever been asked about vitamins....

Is it the same place where you've had the other bone scans?