Honored Contributor

So irritated with medical center...

I was scheduled for a bone scan today, I have had several so it is not a new experience for me...very easy test.  

As the technician was asking me routine questions, she also asked when I last took my calcium and vitamin D...I replied this morning.   She checked and I could not have the scan today as the meds are to be out of your system 24 hours before the test!  I have never had anyone tell me that before and as mentioned this is not my first scan.

I was polite but she knew I was angry...no one ever told me that...she said the person that made my appointment was to give me that information.

So back again next week.......

Respected Contributor

Re: So irritated with medical center...

@Mom2Dogs  I have never heard of that either.  I have been getting bone (Dexa) scans for years and no on one has ever told me to stop taking my calcium pills.  I will be having one this fall so I better call my rheumatologist. Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

I would have had steam coming out of my ears.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Just had a bone scan last week.  

No mention of such a thing.

Had to remove anything with metal snaps, but other than that, there was no conversation except, move here or there.

How annoying to have to go back!

Honored Contributor

I've always been notified of the need to stop those supplements some period of time before the appointment.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I carried my mom for a MRI and the first question asked on the form was do you have a pacemaker or defribillator?  My mom had a defribrillator so we were sent home after getting up at 4:30 and having to be there by 6.    One time I went with my cousin who was scheduled for a mammogram and they told her  she was not to wear deodorant.  I left and bought some wipes so she could clean herself before the test.  Is it that they assume common folks know these things or is it an oversight?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've had a lot of bone density tests done over the years.

I don't remember getting blood tests when just getting a bone density test.

I'm past due for getting another one.

Here's what I found when I went to the Mayo Clinic's  website about bone tensity tests.

A bone density test uses X-rays to measure how many grams of calcium and other bone minerals are packed into a segment of bone. The bones that are most commonly tested are in the spine, hip and sometimes the forearm.Sep 7, 2017

Maybe the one @Mom2Dogs  was having done is more involved like this one:

Bone markers are blood and urine tests that may sometimes be ordered to help evaluate and monitor the rate of bone resorption and formation. They are not used for diagnosis. Bone resorption tests tell about the rate of bone loss.Jul 18, 2016

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Boomernichols 

When I go for a mammo, they do say not to wear any deodorant or lotions.

However, why don't they just have some wipes there to help someone who might have forgotten.  Such a small thing that would help!

But, it unforgiveable that they did not mention the defrillator issue to your mother.  Most of us have to travel some distance to get to the testing point and schedule our day around the tests.

That would have really aggravated me.

Respected Contributor

I had a bone density scan last summer.  I was given a sheet prior to appointment with directions on when to stop supplements.

I have had mammograms in a couple different cities.  Each time I had a printed "order" to take, which included directions not to wear deodorant or use any lotions prior.  Both facilities had wipes to use if you had forgotten and put on deodorant, and a can of spray deodorant to put on afterward in the bathroom if you wished to use it.

That's not good that some facilities aren't communicating with people better...quite a hassle.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols   When I have a mammogram they always have wipes in the dressing room to remove your deodorant.

@Mom2Dogs   They've always told me not to take calcium the morning of a dexa scan.  Somebody really messed up by not telling you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau