Honored Contributor

So if California shuts off electrictiy

What are people with electric cars to do especially if they need to evacuate for fire.

Respected Contributor

Re: So if California shuts off electrictiy

@dex wrote:

What are people with electric cars to do especially if they need to evacuate for fire.

Good question.  (They're probably up a creek.) 

Honored Contributor

What about people who live in high-rise buildings?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Hopefully they have generators.

Honored Contributor

They usually do.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cars that run on gasoline aren’t much better off than electric cars. Just as electric cars can’t recharge without electricity, gasoline engines can’t refuel because fuel pumps at gas stations don’t work without electricity. So anyone who did not make sure their car was ready to roll before the power shut down will be thwarted if they need to evacuate. 

The rationale for cutting off power was to prevent fire risks, thus avoiding any need to evacuate. Seems a very heavy handed solution for a limited risk so far. 

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Cars that run on gasoline aren’t much better off than electric cars. Just as electric cars can’t recharge without electricity, gasoline engines ca;n’t refuel because fuel pumps at gas stations don’t work without electricity. So anyone who did not make sure their car was ready to roll before the power shut down will be thwarted if they need to evacuate. 

The rationale for cutting off power was to prevent fire risks, thus avoiding any need to evacuate. Seems a very heavy handed solution for a limited risk so far. 

It is indeed a heavy-handed "solution" for a problem that the power companies could have resolved years ago.  They didn't take the  monies paid them by consumers to replace non-insulated wiring with insulated lines; even when they prune, they have no clue as to how to direct future plant growth so they approach that issue stupidly also,; and one power company thought nothing of asking for hefty bonuses for their executives (with the excuse given that the extra money would "incentivize" them to take more action).  All the money was apparently wasted since PG&E is now dealing with its bankruptcy and shutting off power was its last resort.

There was not enough advance notice given and/or received by many, depending on a variety of circumstances.  

With a proactive governor, an active Public Utility Commission, and The Utility Reform Network, I trust changes will be made asap.  I recommend supporting TURN, if you're in CA.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Bottom line ----- we need electricity.  I have a hybrid car but it runs on gasoline and pumps need electricity ot function, I am told. I have no house generator although being rural some of my neighbors have them.  

Esteemed Contributor

With all the concern about Northern and Central CA and the high fire danger, today there is a 500 acre fire near Los Angeles that may burn as many as 90 homes.

Respected Contributor

California is doing what they think is best for their state. They pay an enormous amount of federal taxes but are not assured of federal assistance currently. They have to look out for themselves.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown