Super Contributor

Re: So if California shuts off electrictiy

@dex wrote:

What are people with electric cars to do especially if they need to evacuate for fire.

That is so nuts!
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Honored Contributor

Maybe it's just me but I think the inconvience of no electricity pales in comparison to raging fires that can kill people and destroy entire towns.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For now, hybrid cars are probably a better choice than purely electric.

Are the CA power outages still ongoing, or are they over for the time being?

Honored Contributor

@dex 

Call Uber, or maybe Newsome?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Someone on another thread said that if you have solar panels with a battery, you can be offgrid and not be effected by any power outages. It might be worth looking into if this is the future for California due to climate change. As far as automobiles- you can just as easily get caught with no gas as you can having a weak or dead battery in your car. Or a flat tire, for that matter.
Honored Contributor

@bathina 

@bathina wrote:
Someone on another thread said that if you have solar panels with a battery, you can be offgrid and not be effected by any power outages. It might be worth looking into if this is the future for California due to climate change. As far as automobiles- you can just as easily get caught with no gas as you can having a weak or dead battery in your car. Or a flat tire, for that matter.

@Yes that is true but it takes a couple of hours to charge a car and there are not many places to charge them.

Honored Contributor

Interesting article regarding a man who died trying to get to his oxygen.....

https://nypost.com/2019/10/12/man-dies-after-california-power-outage-prevents-him-from-getting-to-ox...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I'm so very glad and grateful I live where I do! 

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

I live in the SF bay area. This time I was shut off for almost two days. I made it thru thanks to having a gas stove,,water on gravity flow, plenty of luminara candles and lanterns, flashlights ,bottle water..My main concern was that I live in a very rural area,,CELL PHONE DO NOT WORK HERE. So when my power went,,since it is a Comcast package deal,I also lost phone,,..I am more scared of falling (age 74) and not being able to drive for help,,than I am of being in the dark. I have a Jitterbug,,only use it for when I drive over mountain for groceries etc..Useless here..There are no towers here,,that is my main concern. Luckily I made it thru ok,,. Our area  had little wind but unfortuately I am connected to a grid that controls areas that had winds..No fires in my area..that was another concern , how would I call if one started..?Am currently checking into phone that have more frequency power,,hopefully can find one that works here in the redwoods.

Regular Contributor

We are in the Coachella Valley  .The fire we have expienced are  in the farm lands . We have always  thought that the eartquake would be our demise  , but that may be contrary  .