Honored Contributor

Re: So discouraged been on a diet for 3 weeks and gained 2 1/2 lbs.

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

My former doctor would say...."cut out the carbs".

My doc said cut out all the white foods, meaning sugar, flour, white rice and pasta.  Those are the things that fuel our appetite and make us gain weight.  And fried foods, of course.

@chrystaltree

And let's not forget white potatoes !

Wrong.  Nothing wrong with white potatoes, low fat and very nutritions.  They are perfectly fine on any diet, baked or roasted.  It's the frying and the butter and the sour cream that are fattening.  Not the potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

Cut back on the smoothies, bump up the fiber and water.  As for exercise, invest in a pair of 3lb hand weights along with the walking.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

My former doctor would say...."cut out the carbs".

My doc said cut out all the white foods, meaning sugar, flour, white rice and pasta.  Those are the things that fuel our appetite and make us gain weight.  And fried foods, of course.

@chrystaltree

And let's not forget white potatoes !

Wrong.  Nothing wrong with white potatoes, low fat and very nutritions.  They are perfectly fine on any diet, baked or roasted.  It's the frying and the butter and the sour cream that are fattening.  Not the potatoes.

@chrystaltree

YES!  Get this....I belong to a group called "Spudtember".

Nothing but tators for the month!  

This is a spinoff headed up by Andrew Taylor, "SpudFit", where he's in his 9th month of eating nothing but potatoes.  Tim Steele, the Potato Hack guy is pretty active in the group as well.  So much fun to see how simple, nutritious, healthy & filling the spud can be!

So misunderstood.

Love me 'tators!!

Super Contributor

proofer, from all the suggestions offered to you hopefully  you will find a way of eating that works for you and that your body responds too. The important thing is not to give up! You can get the results you want if you just keeping working on it. (Isaboo, don't you give up either!) Good luck. 

Looking forward to an update on your progress.

Honored Contributor

I had trouble with my weight all my life unless I was extremely physically active.  It took being diagnosed with Diabetes to get my act together and change my diet to no processed sugar, very low carbs, salad greens, mostly chicken and fish and vegetables and have lost over 40lbs, 30lbs taken off in the first five months.  

Please be aware:  Potatos are a very nutritious food BUT be aware that the starch in potatoes turn into SUGAR in your body almost immediately and is something that I can't eat because it spikes my blood sugar and raises my glucose levels.    

But whatever you do please don't give up....  you'll find a diet you can live with that will be successful~!!  Keep trying!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

.....so misunderstood, the potato.

Funny how....only now, generally in our nation,

we are defining them with a warning...when Europe,

South America, Africa all have been eating potatoes

for generations without a hint of glucose worries.

Hummmmm.  

(Spoiler alert: it's the fat which is the issue)

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

This is a spinoff headed up by Andrew Taylor, "SpudFit", where he's in his 9th month of eating nothing but potatoes.  Tim Steele, the Potato Hack guy is pretty active in the group as well.  So much fun to see how simple, nutritious, healthy & filling the spud can be!

So misunderstood.

Love me 'tators!!

Do you eat only potatoes?  I've read Andrew Taylor's facebook page.

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

So misunderstood.

Love me 'tators!!

Do you eat only potatoes?  I've read Andrew Taylor's facebook page.

Thanks for being inquisitive to read Andrew's story.  That really means a lot that you asked!!

Yep.  Potatoes with very little 'dressing'.  Small amounts of salsa, BBQ sauce, mustard, maple syrup for sweet potatoes, soy milk for mashed potatoes.  That's all. No veg, no fruit, no legume.   I've done a 'Mary's Mini' (Google it) with rice...that's usually my go-to, but this is something different.  This is a perfect month since I'm traveling next couple weeks...takes the 'where do I eat, what do I eat' equation out of the mix. Eat potatoes. Rinse, repeat.

Oddly enough, this potatoes only concept really popularized itself through a Paleo website.  There's a book called 'The Potato Hack' which talks about 1-2 week potato only diets.

Andrew's doing this for food addictions, first & foremost...weight loss is just a nice side effect. In an over-stimulated world, your palate can reflect that as well.   It's nice to simplify and...quiet the mind...and get really full (!) and create healthy gut bacteria! Win-win-win!  I do miss my greens (!), but it's only for a short time.  They'll just taste that much better at the end of the month, yes?! 🍠  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom please understand that I have nothing against the potato (my ancestors are Scots/Irish and the spud kept them alive during the great famine).... however.... if someone is trying to lose weight there are things about the potato that need to be understood.  And this thread is about someone discouraged regarding losing weight.

There are approximately 23 grams of starch in a medium potato.  That starch turns to sugar and glucose.  Limiting potatos while trying to lose weight (for a normal person with no problems) will probably result in a weight loss.  That person doesn't need to forgo potatos completely but for those of us who are diabetic, a potato is something most of us curtail or limit.  If I ate nothing but potatos for a month (with only salsa) I'd probably be in a diabetic coma.  

I know from what you've written on these boards that your beliefs regarding food are based on several doctors who are promoting books and lifestyles that I have researched, read and do not believe in.  

But YOU believe it and I have respect for that.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@sidsmom please understand that I have nothing against the potato (my ancestors are Scots/Irish and the spud kept them alive during the great famine).... however.... if someone is trying to lose weight there are things about the potato that need to be understood.  And this thread is about someone discouraged regarding losing weight.

There are approximately 23 grams of starch in a medium potato.  That starch turns to sugar and glucose.  Limiting potatos while trying to lose weight (for a normal person with no problems) will probably result in a weight loss.  That person doesn't need to forgo potatos completely but for those of us who are diabetic, a potato is something most of us curtail or limit.  If I ate nothing but potatos for a month (with only salsa) I'd probably be in a diabetic coma.  

I know from what you've written on these boards that your beliefs regarding food are based on several doctors who are promoting books and lifestyles that I have researched, read and do not believe in.  

But YOU believe it and I have respect for that.....

@Q4u

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Many threads are posted about illnesses & weight gain...and the posters continue to do the things which cause them to continue the illness.  

It's a vicious circle.  

The majority of the time it IS a choice.

There ARE alternatives...natural alternatives which eliminate/reduce medication for good...it's just called natural, clean plant based food in its whole form. It's really nothing to 'believe' in.  No hocus/pocus...it's just a potato!!

Change is scary, but what's on the other side is good...REALLY good. 

So many people I know, who were burdened with diabetes, are no longer Diabetic...they have gotten healthy & are on no medication.  

Who wouldn't want that?!