Honored Contributor

Re: So discouraged been on a diet for 3 weeks and gained 2 1/2 lbs.

@qualitygal wrote:

With the little bit of knowledge I have on this, smoothies cost us more points in WW, than eating an orange or other fruit, for example. And guys lose weight easier than women, at least at a faster rate. I think their size to ours is why.  Body structure.

@qualitygal

When I wanted to drop my 10 pounds for running the Marathon, I used my Vitamix to make my smoothies(they were not called that back in the 1970's. I used only fresh fruit and ice cubes. On occasion I would use milk in lieu of so many ice cubes.

Ran more miles each week than for the 5-10k races, and with the combination of drinks and higher mileage, it didn't take long to drop those 10 pounds of fat.

The fruits put into the smoothie also can make a difference. Fruits that are primarily water, such as many melons, are better for those wanting fewer calories, since water has none.

Men have a greater muscle to fat ratio than women, and since the more muscle, the more fat that can be burned. Fat tissue is "just along for the ride", making moving that much harder. I feel for the female gender in this respect, but it is unfortunately a Physiological fact.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@proofer wrote:

I have been cutting calories for 3 weeks, not drastic but a lot to me.  Not eating junk food and bought Vitamix and doing a lot of smoothies.  Also started walking and some bicycling not a lot because I have some arthritus but a mile or so a day.  I don't know what else I can do.  My husband doing the same as me has lost 3 lbs.

proofer,  I  know how you feel. I too have been on a diet (i count points -ww's) and I

have been walking two miles a day in addition to do stairs at work and I am not     loosing either.  I'm discouraged and cannot figure out why.  I'm going to stick with it and hope something changes.

Honored Contributor

Weight Watchers.  End of story.

I have friends who diet on and off all the time, I diet when I gain holiday weight, I am about to diet now because I've been sick for months, which means a lot of laying around, including in the hospital.

In all the studies of diets over all the years, WW comes out on top almost every time.  And you can manage it online if you can't go to meetings.

You can also tailor it to the way you like to eat or special diet you may need for health reasons.

Honored Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

@proofer wrote:

I have been cutting calories for 3 weeks, not drastic but a lot to me.  Not eating junk food and bought Vitamix and doing a lot of smoothies.  Also started walking and some bicycling not a lot because I have some arthritus but a mile or so a day.  I don't know what else I can do.  My husband doing the same as me has lost 3 lbs.

proofer,  I  know how you feel. I too have been on a diet (i count points -ww's) and I

have been walking two miles a day in addition to do stairs at work and I am not     loosing either.  I'm discouraged and cannot figure out why.  I'm going to stick with it and hope something changes.

Try cutting your points back.  When I joined to get the new program down pat, I didn't lose either.  They assigned me too many points.  I cut back 4 points a day and started losing.

It also matters WHAT you are eating.  If you use your points for sweets, it's not going to work well.

Esteemed Contributor

I've dropped 15 pounds since first week of July. The only things I'm doing differently are walking 5-6 days/week (2 or more miles each day), drinking lots of water, and decreasing soft drinks (was drinking 1 or 2 cans each day/now drinking 1 every 7-10 days).  I'd rather have water than a smoothie. I drank soft drinks for the caffeine, but now I'm off the caffeine kick and feel much better.  

Honored Contributor

@proofer

Everyone has a tip/trick/program.

Heck even I can recommend something,

but the one thing...an IMPORTANT thing...is the "Why".

Yes, diet/exercise is important, especially the type of food,

but there's a physiological reason why we are overweight.

Back in the mid-2000's I read a book called "The Pleasure Trap"

co-authored by Dr. Douglas Lisle.  It really was a pivotal piece of my

weight-loss/optimum-health puzzle!  He explained the why.

Google, "Dr. Douglas Lisle".

He a 'good interview'.  He's humorous & talks about so many tips/tricks without eating.  There will be pages & pages of interviews w/ him on YouTube.  He's done TEDtalks, interviews, Q&A.....all free on YouTube & even on his personal website.  

My 2 favorite lectures:

"Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind" &

"Getting Along Without Going Along"

His lectures/interviews are usually an hour in length.

I feel it's worth the 60 minute investment.

Can't go wrong w/ learning something new,

especially if it can change your life!   Good Luck!!

Honored Contributor

Don't be discouraged but you can't do this alone.  "Cutting calories".  What does that even mean?  There is so very much more to losing weight than cutting calories.  You need to be on specific plan.  Also, losing weight is harder for women as we age.  Don't compare yourself to your husband, men lose weight faster and easier than women.  A friend recommended a free website to me that has provided me with a lot of help, information and inspiration as I fight to lose weight.   And at 56, it is a battle.  Check out Sparkpeople.com.   They even have free exersize videos.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

My former doctor would say...."cut out the carbs".

My doc said cut out all the white foods, meaning sugar, flour, white rice and pasta.  Those are the things that fuel our appetite and make us gain weight.  And fried foods, of course.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

My former doctor would say...."cut out the carbs".

My doc said cut out all the white foods, meaning sugar, flour, white rice and pasta.  Those are the things that fuel our appetite and make us gain weight.  And fried foods, of course.

@chrystaltree

And let's not forget white potatoes !

Respected Contributor

@proofer wrote:

If you want to lose weight, I would suggest trying a diet of lean meats vegetables and healthy fats.  If you must have carbs like bread, potatoes, pasta, reserve them for one meal during the day, let's say at dinner only. Watch your sodium intake because salt retains water.  If you are making fruit smoothies, that will hinder your progress because fruit contains sugar.  I would eat minimal fruit (only berries which are lower in sugar) or better yet, no fruit at all. Don't compare your progress to your husband's -- men burn calories faster than women due to their muscle weight.