Super Contributor

So discouraged been on a diet for 3 weeks and gained 2 1/2 lbs.

I have been cutting calories for 3 weeks, not drastic but a lot to me.  Not eating junk food and bought Vitamix and doing a lot of smoothies.  Also started walking and some bicycling not a lot because I have some arthritus but a mile or so a day.  I don't know what else I can do.  My husband doing the same as me has lost 3 lbs.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: So discouraged been on a diet for 3 weeks and gained 2 1/2 lbs.

Don't be discouraged...you will loose weight.Try to follow a low cholesterol diet and you will be able to eat well and loose weight.Eliminate suger and white flour.Men loose weight easier because they have more muscle mass but if you keep up the good work you will loose too.

Honored Contributor

@proofer wrote:

I have been cutting calories for 3 weeks, not drastic but a lot to me.  Not eating junk food and bought Vitamix and doing a lot of smoothies.  Also started walking and some bicycling not a lot because I have some arthritus but a mile or so a day.  I don't know what else I can do.  My husband doing the same as me has lost 3 lbs.

What are you putting in the smoothies? They can have a lot of calories and sugar in them.

I have arthritis too...don't let that stop you and be an excuse to not work out hard.

I work out with a trainer two days a week - I'm on my way now. I have to warm up slowly and sometimes favor my elbows or wrists...but after 15 minutes or so, it does get better!

Don't get discouraged!!!

Honored Contributor

My former doctor would say...."cut out the carbs".

Honored Contributor

@proofer - Please don't get discouraged.  We women can put on that much in a day!  It's just hormones and things.  It's a sad, unfair fact of life that men can lose weight much more easily than women.

Keep at what you're doing and maybe use a food tracker, so you can pinpoint exactly what you're taking in.  Also, make sure not to go too low (with calorie counts); that can have an adverse effect and stall any weight loss.

Also, if you're taking any kind of medication for your arthritis, that can affect your weight.

Let us know how you get on and the best of luck.  Congratulations for taking the first steps to a healthier lifestyle!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Measure everything you eat, log it and add up the calories.  

Honored Contributor

You can easily pack a day's worth of calories into a smoothie.  Just because it's called a smoothie and is made in the Vitamix doesn't make it low calorie.  You're still consuming too many calories.  It gets harder to lose weight as you age.  Count your calories and persevere and it'll eventually start to come off but slowly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Not sure what you're putting into the smoothies but I'd eliminate them and eat whole food instead. I think (just my opinion) that it's too easy to inadvertantly add more calories and sugar to smoothies.

My husband's daughter went toward a vegan diet at one point and smoothies became her mainstay; she really started packing on weight.

Anyway, stick with it. I KNOW it's difficult and men do lose weight more quickly.
Try doing some interval training on your walks and bike rides - going fast for a minute or too, then slowing back down. Good luck and hang in there.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you been drinking a lot of water and such in the hot weather?  When I drink a lot of diet tonic or iced tea with no calories, I can gain several pounds that day.  Water weighs a lot.

Respected Contributor

I agree - hang in there - the key is MOVE - and I also agree, if you have arthritis, moving is the best thing you can do.  I too have put on a few pounds and this week started walkiing 40 minutes a day, Mon, Tues, off Wed, walk Thurs, Friday, Sat, Sunday off.  I'll tell you the first day I walked I thought I was gonna die - it was so difficult - but now it is much easier and I feel better than I have in months!  I'm not going crazy on dieting, but went and purchased some super dark chocolate and have a piece after I eat to quelch my sweet tooth.