Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charmwrote:

That's very good of you to commit to doing this, it's a long day for you I'm sure.  I'm guessing you just need to be close by, but not hovering over the computer, too, as he's the one being schooled.  I'm sure you can read, relax, (doze off!) or maybe you have some sort of craft like needlepoint to do during the day.  I hope so anyway!

Does you grandson play with other kids in the neighborhood after school or on weekends?  Any cousins nearby maybe?  Or is all interaction with children off limits.  That would be tragic.  Even when covid was at it's worst, all of my grandchildren still played outside, rode bikes, scooters and did what kids do, which is what was good for them.

Thanks for the kind words, yes it's a long day for this 72 yr old (smile) but I'm there for him and I don't mind.  He looks forward to me being there and tells me every morning he is glad to see me and that he loves me so that makes it all worth it no matter what. I sit right there next to him out of view of the other classmates and the teacher, my daughter is tech savy so she installed a monitor next to his laptop so that I have a better view of the class since I can't see his entire screen without leaning to far over and ending up in his screen so all could see me. Other parents and grandparents are sitting next to their children as well.  No cousins or other children nearby for him to play with but he visits relatives and friends so he does get out. He is full of energy, rides his bike etc

Respected Contributor

Re: So I'm back to school !

[ Edited ]

@ThinkingOutLoud  wrote: Nope - it's about garnering compliments and pats on the back. I could see that a mile away.

Have a Great day ! 

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

Best wishes to you as you embark on another adventure for the sake of family.  I understand the hesitation on vaccines for kids.  Hopefully the interaction with you will serve you both well.  Home schooling has been very effective for many years.  Perhaps there WILL be some interaction outdoor s with kids that he can participate in to give him some youth experience.  

Honored Contributor

Now that's a great investment! 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm shocked that they are doing remote learning anywhere in this country.  The worst of the pandemic is long behind us.  

See, I'm not totally sold on that just yet.  I don't wear a mask unless in a medical setting where they still require it.  I just don't know yet.  Not totally comfortable with the whole idea yet.  We've had all shots and boosters, but after watching the news last night, for a whole other reason, I think home schooling your kids now, isn't a bad idea.  I know they need the other kids to be well-rounded to some people, but I just don't know what to trust anymore.  Too many things seem out of reach, to control anymore. But that's just my take.

Honored Contributor

I've seen a few shows on the "long term" for some people who have had covid and now what their bodies are doing to them.  It's very sad.

I hope I'm here in 10 years to see what happens due to our current actions.  There's just so much!!

Trusted Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@mimomof4  Not that great for college age, either! When this whole thing first hit, these students were traumatized!

Luckily (at least for now!) we are back face-to-face, though I am doing hybrid teaching - F2F + online. Still not ideal because student interaction is very limited.

I must say, though, that students are very adaptable, very adept w/ computer things. (If that's saying anything.) But I know they are missing out socially.

@Harpa I actually feel and have seen that the Remote school has NOT been good for 95% of students regardless of age.  I had a HS freshmen when schools shut down in 2020.  Virtual school that fall was the beginning of the downfall for him.  For him, he enjoyed trades classes - those were no more.  Last year he ended up kicked out of school after remote credit recovery did not help.  I had another son in Middle school at the time who enjoys band class - virtual music classes aren't effective.  You can now see that there is a big decrease in students continuing with band after those virtual years.  They weren't able to learn how to play and appreciate those classes.

Your son was "kicked out" of a public school system for having low grades? 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

Re: So I'm back to school !

[ Edited ]

@paixmcdao wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

@Harpa I actually feel and have seen that the Remote school has NOT been good for 95% of students regardless of age.  I had a HS freshmen when schools shut down in 2020.  Virtual school that fall was the beginning of the downfall for him.  For him, he enjoyed trades classes - those were no more.  Last year he ended up kicked out of school after remote credit recovery did not help.  I had another son in Middle school at the time who enjoys band class - virtual music classes aren't effective.  You can now see that there is a big decrease in students continuing with band after those virtual years.  They weren't able to learn how to play and appreciate those classes.

Your son was "kicked out" of a public school system for having low grades? 

@paixmcdao  Remote class is not the same as hands-on trade school. That is what her son enjoyed and no doubt was good at.

Remote class is a whole other ballgame. Lots of reading and writing, anything but a hands on approach! If he no longer had access to the equipment for the trade/s he was into, I can see that he might have been kicked out of that program.  (Much like the other son, who no longer had band mates, and so lost interest.)

(Did I understand this correctly, @Goodie2shoes ?)

Contributor

My public school district has had a cyber school for many, many years.  Students can do part of a day or the entire day.  Other districts actually buy seats in our cyber school. The superintendent was thinking ahead and started the cyber program to keep the kids in public school.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm shocked that they are doing remote learning anywhere in this country.  The worst of the pandemic is long behind us.  

See, I'm not totally sold on that just yet.  I don't wear a mask unless in a medical setting where they still require it.  I just don't know yet.  Not totally comfortable with the whole idea yet.  We've had all shots and boosters, but after watching the news last night, for a whole other reason, I think home schooling your kids now, isn't a bad idea.  I know they need the other kids to be well-rounded to some people, but I just don't know what to trust anymore.  Too many things seem out of reach, to control anymore. But that's just my take.

I don't even know what you are talking about but I feel very sorry for your grandson.