Honored Contributor

Good for you,keep it going, my mom smoked for 40 + years,got a cancer scare,stopped, i have lost so many from smoking,my dad,grandmother,aunt, mil, one way or another you will have to stop.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

Re: Smoking...not!

[ Edited ]

Thank you all so much for your positive thoughts, cares and concerns...and most of all, your words of wisdom.  For those of you who are already quitters, I'm so jealous that you've already done this and it's been behind you for so long now.  For those of you who are quitting, we really need to hang together on this and be tough. For me, it is truly a mind over matter "thing" and it's been the decision to just not do this anymore.  I'm so done with this. 

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

You go girl!!!   Keep going...one day at a time. 

Honored Contributor

Congratulations! Keep up the good work. Remember one day at a time, I quit 4 months ago after smoking for over 30 years, I feel so much better, and have started exercising and walking, things that would have been much harder being a smoker. Lots of continued luck to you!

Honored Contributor

@RockChalkJayhawk wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl  Good for you!  I quit in 1985, cold turkey, and a wise friend gave me a bit of advice.  "You are an addict of nicotine.  If you ever again have as little as one puff, all your effort will be for nought, and you'll be smoking again".  For once I took someone's advice and it has worked out beautifully.  Hope you can do it too.

I hope so, too. I think the biggest part is finally really wanting to quit. I am 55 and have smoked for at least 35 years. I just don't want to do it anymore. I cut waaaay down to two cigs per day 3 months ago then on May 1 had my last one. I had quite the little moment while smoking that last one....said goodbye to my friend and have not looked back!  Feels great just not even having them in my purse. Thanks for your advice....I intend to follow it!

@Jayhawk Girl  I quit cold turkey  in 1990. Yes, it is like losing a best friend.....and you have all this time to fill because you are not taking smoke breaks. The physical addiction To the nicotine is tough, but the psychological addiction might be the hardest part to get through. Not having that cigarette in your hand....not having it with your coffee....while driving, after meals.... and on and on.....it took me about a year to actually get through a full 24 hours  without thinking of my "friend".  That was when I was truely free!  What a great friend to say goodby to!

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@RockChalkJayhawk wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Jayhawk Girl  Good for you!  I quit in 1985, cold turkey, and a wise friend gave me a bit of advice.  "You are an addict of nicotine.  If you ever again have as little as one puff, all your effort will be for nought, and you'll be smoking again".  For once I took someone's advice and it has worked out beautifully.  Hope you can do it too.

I hope so, too. I think the biggest part is finally really wanting to quit. I am 55 and have smoked for at least 35 years. I just don't want to do it anymore. I cut waaaay down to two cigs per day 3 months ago then on May 1 had my last one. I had quite the little moment while smoking that last one....said goodbye to my friend and have not looked back!  Feels great just not even having them in my purse. Thanks for your advice....I intend to follow it!

@Jayhawk Girl  I quit cold turkey  in 1990. Yes, it is like losing a best friend.....and you have all this time to fill because you are not taking smoke breaks. The physical addiction To the nicotine is tough, but the psychological addiction might be the hardest part to get through. Not having that cigarette in your hand....not having it with your coffee....while driving, after meals.... and on and on.....it took me about a year to actually get through a full 24 hours  without thinking of my "friend".  That was when I was truely free!  What a great friend to say goodby to!

@SeaMaiden you are so right! Thank you!!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Respected Contributor

Updating: @Jayhawk Girl

It was 3 weeks ago that I stopped smoking. I am pretty miserable, but trying so hard not to give into the horrible habit.

But when do these intense cravings go away! That's what is beating me down. 

Honored Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl

YOU CAN DO THIS!

I quit when I decided to get pregnant, I didn't want to endanger the baby.  I never went back.  I remember carrying the baby up some long stairs and being amazed I wasn't getting winded. 

You will begin to feel so much better, GOOD FOR YOU!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

@ANewHue

I need to quit too, but I just don't know HOW to give this up? How do I change my mindset on this addiction? 

we must DO THIS!

@Mustang Shar

I used my Behavior Psych training.  I made a list of all the times I smoked routinely and changed each behavior associated with it.

I used to call my mother every morning while I had coffee and a cigarette, I always called from a certain chair in the living room.  I started calling her every morning from the bedroom instead, I had NEVER smoked in the bedroom before so I didn't associate cigarettes there.

I also had a cigarette whenever I had a cocktail, that one was easy because I refused alcohol while pregnant.  There were a few others which I can't remember now, but maybe changing something associated with your smoking habit will help you.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Hmmm! Post is over 7 months old. @Jayhawk Girl

still off the smokes? I quit many decades ago the same way I quit drinking/eating meat-fish-fowl, and gambling. Cold Turkey is the only thing that works with me regardless of what habit(some prefer:addiction or disease), I will stick with "habit and/or addiction".

Hope your reply is YES!

hckynut(john)