Esteemed Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl - I quit using the patch 11 years ago. You really have to work it to get through the craving part - keep busy, go for a walk do something different, change up your routine. I was really ready to quit and didn't have intense cravings - just every now and again it would catch me off guard. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Updating: @Jayhawk Girl

It was 3 weeks ago that I stopped smoking. I am pretty miserable, but trying so hard not to give into the horrible habit.

But when do these intense cravings go away! That's what is beating me down. 

Way to go @Mustang Shar

Having quit smoking 7years ago with the help of Chantix, I look at it this way:

Nicotine is a drug and I am an addict. It's one day at a time. The cravings get weaker and more infrequent and it gets easier to tough it out, but the desire is still there beneath the surface. The difference is, I know I can never have even one cigarette as I don't have the strength to quit again. It was the hardest thing I ever did.

it is hard but well worth the effort.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@Jayhawk Girl@Kachina624, listen to Kachina.  My doctor told me if I took a puff to go buy a carton.  No fooling around.  I quit 33 years ago.  Stay strong!  LM

Respected Contributor

My MIL has had a stroke and now lung cancer....wonder if she'll stop smoking this time??  I think the "key" perhaps was WANTING to truly quit....my father smoked for 68yrs....at 84 he stopped due to the fact he couldn't physically manage to light them and walk to his smoke area in the home (bathroom)....his health was VERY poor.  Never even mentioned it to any of us.  

Trusted Contributor

TOTAL CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!   YOU ARE AWESOME!

Thank you from a non-smoker for joining our ranks!    I bet you feel great.

My parents both smoked all my childhood, and they quit in their 60's.  They felt and looked so much better afterwards.

Keep it up and know that you are doing wonders for your body and your healthy future!

Valued Contributor

Re: Smoking...not!

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar wrote:

It was 3 weeks ago that I stopped smoking. I am pretty miserable, but trying so hard not to give into the horrible habit.

Hang in there.  The cravings were tough but I drank (am drinking) a lot of water when they hit. I used the patch but don't even mess with that anymore.  It's been 114 days and I really don't miss it.  I think so much of it was in my head.  I just really wanted to stop.  I want you to be that way, too!!  Stay tough and don't have any cigs around to even tempt yourself!  You can do this!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Valued Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Hmmm! Post is over 7 months old. @Jayhawk Girl

still off the smokes? I quit many decades ago the same way I quit drinking/eating meat-fish-fowl, and gambling. Cold Turkey is the only thing that works with me regardless of what habit(some prefer:addiction or disease), I will stick with "habit and/or addiction".

Hope your reply is YES!

Yes!  114 days to be exact!  Don't miss it at all!!!

Valued Contributor

thank you all so much for your continued hearts and positive comments on my quitting smoking.  I have not smoked now, for 114 days. No cheating, no puffing, no kidding! I wish I would have done this 25 years ago!  Thank you, again, for all of your support!

Valued Contributor

Re: Smoking...not!

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@Mustang Shar wrote:

Way to go @Mustang Shar

Having quit smoking 7years ago with the help of Chantix, I look at it this way:

Nicotine is a drug and I am an addict. It's one day at a time. The cravings get weaker and more infrequent and it gets easier to tough it out, but the desire is still there beneath the surface. The difference is, I know I can never have even one cigarette as I don't have the strength to quit again. It was the hardest thing I ever did.

it is hard but well worth the effort.

Completely agree and it is totally worth the effort!  I love NOT reaching for those stupid things anymore!

Honored Contributor

@RockChalkJayhawk wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

Hmmm! Post is over 7 months old. @Jayhawk Girl

still off the smokes? I quit many decades ago the same way I quit drinking/eating meat-fish-fowl, and gambling. Cold Turkey is the only thing that works with me regardless of what habit(some prefer:addiction or disease), I will stick with "habit and/or addiction".

Hope your reply is YES!

Yes!  114 days to be exact!  Don't miss it at all!!!

@Jayhawk Girl

Cheers to you. I am so happy for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)