Esteemed Contributor

Water  aerobics and tai chi are good for a bad back. My YMCA has  a few warmer lanes and a hospital uses one for therapy.   Even water walking is good. The tai chi is taught there also and it’s slow and shouldn’t hurt your back. 

I’ve met many friends in these classes and we do lunch or coffee after. 

A pet would be good but if you get a dog and walk it plan on a small one so it doesn’t hurt you. 

Enjoy retirement!

Honored Contributor

Is there any chance you back problems can be fixed? I think a whole new world would open up if you were physically able to do more.

Trusted Contributor

@texassunflower, I am married but have no children but I also get bored.  Even when I am at my other home on the lake I  still get bored.  I think it may be something that comes with age.  My Dad was very much the same way.  I think when we still have our parents we are active with them and then when they pass it creates a big void that is hard to fill.  So I can certainly relate to you.  

Honored Contributor

I am married, 40 years, and we are CHILD FREE. I do not like the term Child Less...it sounds so negative....the stigma society still puts on women for choosing not to have children.  

Honored Contributor

My husband passed away years ago.  No kids.  I retired nine years ago.  Most of my friends are either single or widows with grown children.

I used to tell people that the only reason I worked was so that I could live indoors and eat regularly.  I had/have a lot of outside interests.

Sometimes I wonder how I ever had time to work.  

always have something going on.  I'm involved in a women's group through Church (meetings / luncheons), other Church functions, participate in some charity activities, lunch with friends, my genealogical research, my knitting and crochet.  I'm an avid reader.  I started writing a family history years ago ... still working on it.  

Then there are the more mundane activities like doing laundry and other housework. And most important of all .... my daily nap time!

You should get involved in some community or church activities.

Respected Contributor

I am retired and live alone.  My children and grands are 3 hours from me.  I had back issues also...they actually improved when I wasn’t sitting at a desk all day.

Most days fly by...I’m seldom bored.  Volunteer once a week, go to the gym most days, meet a group of friends monthly for dinner, and every few weeks have lunch  with my sis or cousin.  

Play on the computer, keep in touch via Facebook and email with distant friends, crochet, read, watch tv, listen to music, and am teaching myself to play a ukulele!

Then just regular chores...shopping, gassing up and washing the car, cooking, dishes, laundry, etc.  Church either Saturday night or Sunday.

Life is fairly quiet, but good.

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower  

Married, no kids (I do have two step kids), but we are not overly involved with them.  Still working, because we can (self employed and healthy)  and because we are afraid of retirement.

Friends had retired and moved, friends have kids are very, very involved with them...I understand what you are saying.

Honored Contributor

To add to the previous suggestions:   With experience caring for a sick parent, would you consider becoming a sitter for the elderly?   Being a shopper and running errands for the elderly?   Would you be interested in being a volunteer driver for a veterans facility?   Be a sitter after school for any kids in your neighborhood?   Volunteer at a hospital or nursing home?  

I retired early to care for my husband and mother, and feel like I have a full time job.   I absolutely do not want something else to do!  

My office friends who retired are busy with grandchildren as well.  One friend got involved with groups in her church and does weekly visitations, and also participates in the sewing circle.   Another volunteers twice a week in a family business to answer phones and schedule service calls.   Another friend works part time answering the phone at a local car dealership.   A male friend is retiring in a few months, and his plan is to deliver newspapers.   

Best wishes with looking at your many options and figuring out what’s good for you!

Honored Contributor

IMO people are as busy as they want to be, now if you are lonely that's a whole different ball game. I think it's very hard to meet new people these days, people young and old barely look up from their smart phones. I really don't think it matters where you live, it's just the way society is today. I retired years ago, my husband is still alive, we have each other. I don't do a whole lot, just what I feel like doing, but I'm always working on myself. 

Respected Contributor

I'm neither married or a parent - both by choice. I can honestly say that I've not ever been at a loss for something to do since I elected to retire very early in my late 40's. The difference now is that I do what I WANT to do, not what I HAVE to do.

I was responsible for both of my parents at the end of their lives, and while it was very stressful, it was also a great honor and privilege. After all, they took care of me when I was a helpless child. But I also made sure I stayed connected to my network of friends and activities. 

Most of my friends are still working, so we make plans when it's convenient for them. When they're at work, I train, run errands, volunteer and any number of other things. It all works out. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~