Super Contributor

I am single, never married and have no children. I took early retirement to care for a sick parent. My mom passed away a year ago. I have returned to work part-time only due to a lousy back. I can't sit or stand any Ionger for lengthy periods. I sub half days three days a week. I have had a hard time adjusting to living alone again. Most of my friends still work full-time and are busy with family on the weekends. I have alot of spare time during the week and I am curious what others do to pass the time. I never dreamed in retirement that I would be anxious and bored. Like many others, I looked forward to retirement and had numerous plans. 

Trusted Contributor

@texassunflower Do you have something that you really enjoy where you could volunteer?  Or maybe you like to read and could join a book club?  Maybe there is a hobby you wanted to learn/do and now you have the time to do so?  Just a few ideas that popped into my head when I read your post.  I'm wishing you the best.

Esteemed Contributor

I am an empty nester and husband stills works and I don’t.I spent the summer volunteering. I don’t enjoy golf as much as I used too. You can only go out to eat, church and movies so much. I learned so much and met new people. Just bite the bullet and do it.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Volunteer to a cause close to your heart.  It would be wonderful. 

It get's you out and about plus serves as a purpose for the day.  

I just work part time and have a little extra income so that also helps from the daily routine of just looking at 4 walls.

Congrats on your retirement.  Take time to enjoy.

@texassunflower Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

As my father used to say "Life is what you make it."  My suggestions -- get involved in a volunteer activity.  Are you a teacher since you "sub" part time?  Can you tutor students?  Teach ESL?  

Take an exercise class, e.g., tai chi, yoga, join a gym.

Get a pet.  

Don't know where you live but there should be opportunities to get involved and meet people but you must make the effort.  Do not expect anyone to knock on your door.

Honored Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

I am single, never married and have no children. I took early retirement to care for a sick parent. My mom passed away a year ago. I have returned to work part-time only due to a lousy back. I can't sit or stand any Ionger for lengthy periods. I sub half days three days a week. I have had a hard time adjusting to living alone again. Most of my friends still work full-time and are busy with family on the weekends. I have alot of spare time during the week and I am curious what others do to pass the time. I never dreamed in retirement that I would be anxious and bored. Like many others, I looked forward to retirement and had numerous plans. 

I share most of these things with you. You have my sympathetic thoughts. 

Respected Contributor

@texassunflower   I vote for joining a gym.  You may find that using machines for a workout can improve your back.  I've had back problems since I was 15, and I'd be a mess by now if it wasn't for my regular workouts.  You will meet people and maybe make new friends too!

Laura loves cats!
Frequent Contributor

Have you ever considered being a foster parent for an older child?  Many older children (15 and older) can take care of themselves in the physical sense but really need a compassionate, wise, caring soul to connect to.  Thinking of how you feel now, can you imagine "aging out" of the foster care system with absolutely no family to call your own?  How awful holidays would be.  And no one to turn to for anything - even just emotional support.

Not only would you be giving the ultimate gift to another person, think of all you would receive in return.  No more holidays alone, someone to care about you when you are ill, and maybe even foster grandchildren at some point.

I know some of the children are very troubled but I know many that are good kids that don't get into trouble and just need someone to care. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Single and childless

[ Edited ]

@texassunflower 

I am married and childless, and retired in 2010 after 38 years of Federal service.  I adore having time to myself.  My husband still works, so I have the day to myself.

Although I also cared for both my parents before they died, I was still working.

What do I do all day?   Anything I please Cat LOL  This is what I tell people who query me about it.

However, I also sew blankets for Project Linus.  Those blankets are distributed to sick babies or children, or those simply in need.  There are chapters all over the country.

I also make and donate gift baskets to local animal rescues for their fund raising events.

Those things keep me pretty busy.  I really don't need every second of my time occupied, but by the time I do things around the house, I usually have time to devote to my "hobbies."

Where you live there are organizations that need willing hands.  You just have to reach out.

Esteemed Contributor

I am divorced, kids are grown and I do not work. I also tell people that I do what I want, when I want. I am never bored.

I strongly suggest rescuing the dog or cat of your choice. I met some of my very best friends through my dog! We go to the dog park every afternoon at about the same time. We talk about everything. Like Vegas, what is said at the dog park stays at the dog park!