Respected Contributor

Re: Sigh of relief ... did my taxes!

[ Edited ]

I have a finance degree and extensive knowledge of the tax code. So much so that I wouldn't dream of doing my own returns, nor would I even think about giving advice to anyone on their returns.  The money spent on a CPA who specializes in taxes (I know CPA's working corporate jobs who don't do their own returns either) is well worth it for me. 

I haven't received a refund in years and frankly, if I did, it would just get applied to the current year's estimated payments. Those make me cringe, but at least the feds take AMEX so I can get airline miles when I pay them. Smiley Frustrated

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I am retired and had to pay an additional $1,000 in taxes because of the new tax reform.  

Respected Contributor

We owe around $3,000 not happy but we owe every year since retirement Oh gov will wait til the near the end to pay this. 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband, who has a PhD in accounting and finance, always did our taxes. However, now he has Alzheimer’s, so for the first time in over 50 years,I had to put everything together for the accountant. I guess I must have picked up enough info over the years because I was able to do it...and we are going to get a refund from the state and the feds. On the other hand, my soon-to-be 97 year old mother got nailed and is very upset about having to pay more. I don’t blame her. She is so afraid she will outlive her money despite her kids and grandkids promising her that we will never let that happen. She is still very independent, despite physical problems and a 24/7 aide.

Honored Contributor

I heard that people, in general, can expect to pay this year even if they never had to before.

DH has finished ours.

We had to pay this year.

I know he dreads having to figure it each year. 👒

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~