Trusted Contributor

Re: Showers and baths every day?

i have to shower at least once a day.  my hair is oily andneeds to be washed daily.

i don't know how anyone can not bathe or shower at least once a day.  i just do not feel clean when i don't but each to their own.

Regular Contributor

Everyone is different, lead different lives but I recently made a visit to my dermatologist for what turned out to be eczema and she suggested at least every other day, but wash the stinky parts.  Alot of things we use on our body are very drying and as you get older your body doesn't moisturize like it once used to.

Honored Contributor

I know several people from various countries.  They laugh at the way Americans take so many baths and showers.

I think this is an American thing.  It is based on all the people I know.  I haven't thought much about it, but over the years it's been a joke.  Let's see, Korea, Venezuela, El Salvador, Japan, Bolivia, Nepal, Vietnam, to name a few.

At one time or another we've joked and they've teased me about some of American's 'habits'.

I will say though that some have said that, after living here for awhile, they start taking showers more often.

Honored Contributor

I think many of you are confusing showers/baths with washing up.  They aren't the same thing.  I have no doubt that the people who don't immerse themselves in water everyday do wash themselves and they are just as clean as the daily shower/bath people.  I didn't like using the bath chair in the shower after I had my knee replacement because I had to time it for when someone was in the house with me.  I needed some help because our bathrooms aren't large and the tubs are small.  Where there's a will, there's a way.    So, for about 8 weeks, I washed my body at the sink.  Sat down on my bed and soaked my feet in a basin.  I still have the long handled bath brush that I used to soap up my back and to soap my feet and legs in the basin.  I was just as clean as if I'd showered.   

Esteemed Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I'm not a bath person but I do take a shower each night.   That's my favorite part of the evening. I take a shower then do my face cleansing and teeth brushing routine and then settle down to watch TV.

I wouldn't feel comfortable getting into bed without showering. That said, I have known people who say they don't shower every day.  If they haven't done much that day they don't feel the need.   Some feel that it dries out your skin.  

I used to take a shower twice a day...just recently changed to once a day...unless I've been outside and it was hot...! remember when I was hospitalized and couldn't take a shower...NOT a good feeling...lol! Smiley Very Happy

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Absolutely, at least 1 🚿 daily. I don’t let dh 🛌 without shower.

I would feel the same!!!!!! Woman Very Happy

-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

I shower every morning to wash my hair and wake me up!  I also shower every night to 'rinse off the dirties of the day'....  I don't think I could crawl into my bed if I hadn't showered before bedtime.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family showers twice daily, both in the morning and before bed.

Our guests never ever worry about getting their hair wet in the bath tub/shower, or worry about their safety getting into and out of the bathtub with shower.

I have a waterproof soft mat placed in front of bath tub.

I had pro installed a full metal grab bar from one end of the bath tub to the other on the inside tile wall which I can also hold on to, and place wash cloths on to use while in the tub/shower.    

I feel totally safe without getting hair wet in the shower because we all use a 10 foot long hand held shower hose which also has settings built in we can adjust individually to suit our personal needs. I love the rain fall with spa spray mode.

The shower hose reaches all the way from the front of the bath tub to the back of the bath tub, and was installed easily using teflon tape on the shower head pipe threads and then the shower head  was screwed in with the extension arm which has the long 10 foot shower hose also attached. It is a click the button operation for using shower hose or bath tub.

Also I  purchased a bath tub long flexible white bath tub mat which covers the bath tub floor from right below the tub floor drain to the back of the bath tub.

I usually sit in the shower since I bought a shower bath tub chair which fits on the bath tub mat, as I like to take my time whenever I shower.

I also hope this information I posted above, may be helpful for other QVC Members.

Esteemed Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I think most Americans shower/bathe at least once a day.  Outside of USA, it is not so common.  

Me, every day.  Funny story - when my niece/nephew were young (he was 8) I accompanied the family to Disney World.  We were in one of those lines that snakes around the turnstyles and sandwiched between a very large group of teen students from France.  It was extremely hot and humid and my nephew proclaimed very loudly that these kids all smelled really bad - "like bad BO" (and he was right)!  

When I was a little girl we traveled overseas...I believe we were on a train somewhere in Europe..and I remember how bad it smelled. Fast forward years later when I worked for an OB/Gyn doctor from Yugoslavia...no one wanted to assist her...she told me she didn't believe in using a deodorant! Ugh...

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I don't take baths, just showers.  And usually once a day.  Sometimes when it's hot (like yesterday) I take 2 showers.  That and stepping in to fresh clothes makes me feel 100% better.  Taking an extra shower in the evening before bed time, helps you sleep better.  So for work I shower in the morning and just before bed.  Week ends I just take one daily shower.  The only times I don't shower is when I'm sick,  that's the times I take a sponge bath.

My husband showers every other day.  He has no smell, etc.  He takes sponge baths instead of the regular shower.  It might as well be a shower, because he smells good.

This thread reminds me right after the car accident.  They gave me sponge baths daily.  I didn't wash my hair, because I couldn't move my neck.  My neck and chest were in two hard casts.  A nurse had to move me to bath me.  When I got home, it was worse.  A visiting nurse came to sponge me and dress me in the mornings.  My husband had to help me in the evenings.  I think I didn't wash my hair for at least a month maybe longer (2 months?)  It was a victory just making it to the toilet by myself.  I was in shock trauma 3 weeks, rehabilitation hospital another 3 weeks.  Off from work for 6 months.

Bless your heart..hope you're fully recovered! Heart

-- Mae West