Respected Contributor

Should wearing life vests be required on a boat?

There are so many laws to protect like wearing helmets etc. but the life jacket thing has always been optional.  When younger I knew people who had boats and when I asked about a life jacket they acted like I was paranoid or a fanatic.   I went on the duck boat in Missouri and did not even realize it went into the water. That was 25 years ago and never heard of a duck boat before.  No mention of life jackets.  Maybe adults are on their own but children should be required to wear one.  I live in Florida so there is a lot of water, pools, lakes and drowning and shark attacks.  I saw jaws at the movies and decided I could prevent a shark attack by staying out of their home.  When I went on a few cruises, I thought why don't each room have a couple of jackets in it so you can get to one easily. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Should wearing life vests be required on a boat?

In many states I think they are required.  For duck boats, children should be required to wear one.  With a boat like that, you would float to the top and be trapped since there is a roof.  The adults could get to the children though.  At least this is  what someone being intereviewd and was supposedly some type of expert said.

Honored Contributor

Yes life jackets should be required on commercial rides. It should be required for insurance purposes.

For privately owned boats and water vehicles, it’s up to the owner. 

Valued Contributor

Absolutely  !!!  We had a 43’ boat for 25 years, and everyone aboard had to wear a life vest.  Our daughters grew up on the boat, we went out on the weekends, and on vacations all the time.  They would bring their friends and they were issued a life vest also.  I agree everyone should have a life vest and should be a law.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, after all the stories we read and hear about, it should be a law!

Honored Contributor

In Alabama, there must be a life jacket for every occupant.   No requirement to wear it.  In some boat accidents,  people don't always die from drowning.   There was a bad accident locally over 4th of July, the people died from head trauma when 2 boats collided.

I haven't heard how many of the duck boat fatalities were due to drowining or other trauma.   I learned to swim as a child, whenever I know someone who can't swim and won't get on a boat, I don't try to talk them into it.

Everyone should at least know the basics of water survival before they get on a boat.   Trust me, if the captain of that boat had told me no need for a life jacket, I would have ignored him.   Life jackets are no guarantee but it gives you a chance

Ducks boats may need to stay away from bodies of water with the potential of such severe weather and stay in safer waters.

Esteemed Contributor

I think they should be. My inlaws have had a variety of boats in the past several years, and any time I have bee around them on the water, they have always wore life jackets, and had more than enough to go around for everyone else who was with them.

Honored Contributor

I thought they already were.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Life jackets are suggested by the coast guard but not required. You are REQUIRED to have them on the boat though, one for each person.Once we were out on Lake Erie and our boat broke down, so we had to call the Coast Guard for a tow. When we were on the radio with them they told us to be sure to have on our life jackets when they got there or we'd get an expensive ticket. As it turned out a friend of ours heard our radio conversation so he came and towed us in instead.

Honored Contributor

If the weather looks bad, put one on. Better safe than sorry.  No one knows better than you do, for your own sake.