Honored Contributor

Re: Should wearing life vests be required on a boat?

I believe in WA state you have to have a life jacket available for everyone but I don't think you have to wear them.  

I have been on Duck Boats several times in Seattle and no one was wearing life jackets but they were available.  

Esteemed Contributor

I live near a lake but never go boating. If I did, I’d wear a life vest. It is beyond tragic that passengers were not told that they should wear those vests. In addition, the weather forecasts were ominous, but the tour company went out anyway. This is carelessness and negligence compounded with ignorance. It is tragic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  Bring told it's not necessary is crazy.  At minimum, people on a commercial boat should have a safety talk and be told vests are available for all.  Like they do on the airplane.  You can use your seat as a floatation devise, locate the nearest exit, which may be behind you, etc.

Valued Contributor

Nine members of one family??? (Just one example.😭)  A resounding “YES” ~ mandatory in all 50 states, without exception. 

Trusted Contributor

in words of one syllable or less...YES !!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

YES WITHOUT A DOUBT ???

Valued Contributor

IMO- "required" NO. They are available for each person (law). If a person chooses not to wear it, that is their choice and should remain as such.