Honored Contributor

Re: Should males know how many ounces there are in a pint?

What do schools teach these days??? Probably how to use a smartphone and social media????

Honored Contributor

What a sexist thread title!👎

Honored Contributor

It has nothing to do with male vs female.  We are all taught it in school, but you know the old saying, "Use it or lose it".  I would have to Google it too.  I don't cook that much, but I don't think I have ever needed that calculation in my cooking.  I also can't calculate between the Metric system and the American system of measurements.  I have an awful time when dealing with mixing up gardening chemicals since the directions are written for large quantities, not for something like 1 gallon or less, like for a spray bottle.  

Frequent Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I was shopping in the dairy dept. at local market.  A young man was shopping with his maybe 12 year old daughter and we struck up a brief conversation. He had the girl and her younger brother for the weekend.  He said outloud, How many ounces in a pint?  Thinking he might be quizzing his daughter for a learning moment, I kept still.  Then he fiddled with his phone so I said Do you really want the answer?  He said yes, so I told him.  Later DH said he would have had to think about the answer a minute, because girls cook and learn this stuff and boys don't.  My question is Why aren't the schools teaching such basic stuff to everyone?  

I have to ask DH all the time.  My brain slides out with anything above 8 ounces.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I was shopping in the dairy dept. at local market.  A young man was shopping with his maybe 12 year old daughter and we struck up a brief conversation. He had the girl and her younger brother for the weekend.  He said outloud, How many ounces in a pint?  Thinking he might be quizzing his daughter for a learning moment, I kept still.  Then he fiddled with his phone so I said Do you really want the answer?  He said yes, so I told him.  Later DH said he would have had to think about the answer a minute, because girls cook and learn this stuff and boys don't.  My question is Why aren't the schools teaching such basic stuff to everyone?  

even deeper question, not smart enough to ask his phone

Respected Contributor

I know how many ounces are in a cup. After that it can get a bit murky. Cheat sheet, anyone? 

Honored Contributor

If a person - man or woman - doesn't do much in the kitchen, those measurements and equivalents are unlikely to stick with them, even if they learned them in school.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@depglass Schools are to tell you what and how to think.  Not to teach you silly stuff like practical information.  Woman Frustrated

My two highly educated grandchildren, both in high school, would beg to differ with you. And they could prove their argument with facts.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I learned a pint is a pound the world around. I wonder how many posters know the metric system.