Honored Contributor

Should males know how many ounces there are in a pint?

I was shopping in the dairy dept. at local market.  A young man was shopping with his maybe 12 year old daughter and we struck up a brief conversation. He had the girl and her younger brother for the weekend.  He said outloud, How many ounces in a pint?  Thinking he might be quizzing his daughter for a learning moment, I kept still.  Then he fiddled with his phone so I said Do you really want the answer?  He said yes, so I told him.  Later DH said he would have had to think about the answer a minute, because girls cook and learn this stuff and boys don't.  My question is Why aren't the schools teaching such basic stuff to everyone?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Should males know how many ounces there are in a pint?

[ Edited ]

@depglass My DS loved to go shopping with us when he was a kid and with me as a teen. He learned in grade school about ounces, pints, quarts and knows this all very well, as do his adult daughter and teen age son.

BTW schools DO teach this and so do many parents. My nephew and BIL also know all these measurements and I think your husband is in error as to the reason why. Does he know that men also cook?

Honored Contributor

Being a male vs. a female has nothing to do with knowing different weights and meaures.  Both my DH and DS cook.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like a lame excuse for not knowing the answer. 🤣🤣

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

No need for a male to ever have knowledge of this.  There will always be a female around to deal with it.

Geesh, what year is this?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 Exactly! Both my DS and DIL enjoy cooking. DS started learning as a young teen.

Honored Contributor

i am sure they are taught this in elementary school.........all kids.

whether or not they RETAIN the knowledge as the years go on is a different story.....some may, some may not, and some just dont care.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don’t know how many ounces there are in a pint off the top of my head. I’d have to work it out.

Honored Contributor

Heck, I don't know that and actually never needed to know in all the years I've cooked and baked!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I was shopping in the dairy dept. at local market.  A young man was shopping with his maybe 12 year old daughter and we struck up a brief conversation. He had the girl and her younger brother for the weekend.  He said outloud, How many ounces in a pint?  Thinking he might be quizzing his daughter for a learning moment, I kept still.  Then he fiddled with his phone so I said Do you really want the answer?  He said yes, so I told him.  Later DH said he would have had to think about the answer a minute, because girls cook and learn this stuff and boys don't.  My question is Why aren't the schools teaching such basic stuff to everyone?  

@depglass Schools are to tell you what and how to think.  Not to teach you silly stuff like practical information.  Woman Frustrated