Honored Contributor

Re: Should I send thank you flowers.....

I'm sorry for your loss. Years ago when my 28 yr. old brother died after being in the hospital for a while, my mom and I went back and took the nursing staff who cared for him a big box of chocolates and a thank you note. They seemed to like our thank you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tashy Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Honored Contributor

We ALWAYS kept sealed containers of treats in my mom's room for the nurses, and her room was ALWAYS the most popular place on the floor.

Send a card and resealable containers filled with snacks.

Trusted Contributor

Tashy - I LOVE the idea of the Hershey kisses!  So reminesent of his personality!  Be sure to say that in your note - it'll make the nurses smile and remember him!

Honored Contributor

This happened to us a couple of years ago.  We had pizza delivered to all three shifts.  Often the evening and night shift employees get left out.  It went over very well. 

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's odd that the facility hasn't contacted you to extend their sympathies.  I would not send flowers to her nursing home.  The nurses and aides are working, it's their workplace, not their home.  Send a note expressing your gratitude for the care they gave your Dad and if he mentioned anything specific that pleased him, include that in the note.  Send the note to the charge nurse and request that she share the note with the staff.  If you want to give the staff something tangible; everyone likes a little sweet treat.  I work in a hospital and I've seen patients and families send candies, mini muffins, cookies, chocolates.  Treats are put in the break room.  Of course, food should be individually wrapped and commercally prepared.  Nothing homemade.  Nothing messy. 

Just because it is a workplace doesn't mean flowers aren't appreciated.  I see all kinds of business receive flowers from happy clients.  It's a lovely gesture that is always appreciated.  Perhaps not in this instance, but there is nothing wrong with sending an arrangement fo a business.

Respected Contributor

That's what we did for one special nurse, sent a card and I brought over some home made cookies for all the them. We even exchanged Christmas cards for a few years. There are some very caring nurses out there. We moved my father 4 times until we found the best place for him and these nurse and CNA's should be acknowledged and thanked for their wonderful service.

Honored Contributor

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Second, how thoughtful you are for wanting to give a gift to the staff.

I've always been a fan of cards.  Call me old-fashioned, but a card is something special.  As someone who has been working in a hospital as a nurse, I can tell you that the one item that is always appreciated by staff is the edible item.

I might be the only nurse who isn't addicted to chocolate, but it's like catnip for people who wear scrubs to work.  A box of chocolates, a cake or cookies would be a treat that they would appreciate. 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~