Trusted Contributor

Should I get a financial planner?

With the stock market falling and looks as if it will continue to do so, I am looking into getting a financial planner. However, I don't know if they will be useful or if they would just lead me to do what they could make the most commission on etc.  Seems as if it would cost about $1000 a year. I would rather give that money to my sons before the market continues to go down. But maybe a financial planner would help me make more money. I just don't know what to do.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I get a financial planner?

We retired eleven years ago.  We have been drawing on our retirement savings all that time.  Yet we have more now in our retirement account. 

We couldn't have done that without our financial advisor!  

I would suggest that go with a fiduciary financial advisor.  

"A fiduciary financial advisor makes investment decisions with your best interest in mind, while a financial advisor who isn't a fiduciary may recommend products for which they receive a commission or other form of payment. What is a fiduciary?"

I would look this up and research!

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 

I echo the need for a fiduciary financial planner.  Our first financial planner was NOT, and boy he had more ways for us to spend our money.  All would have netted him a nice commision.  When we switched to a fiduciary, the difference was remarkable!  He did not recommend any of the products that we heard about from the first guy.

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee Do you have most of your investments in the Stock Market?

As we get older you should have less of a percentage in the Stock Market. You will have less time to recover from downturns like we are now experiencing.

You should research the company for fees and commissions. My husband was looking into a MAJOR company. They were going to charge 6% of the total investment every year. Since our investment would probably not give us a return of 6%, it seemed like it was not worth it.

Look at all the companies laying off thousands of employees and shutting stores.  Who knows what the future looks like. Who can predict. I am not sure anyone can.

Stick with a safe investment. And be careful taxes will eat up any inheritance your sons might get. I had to pay inheritance tax on my parents clothing. 

Trusted Contributor

A person with the full credentials and qualifications of a Certified Financial Planner is licensed as a Fiduciary. That means they are bound by both law and ethics to see only to the interest of their client. They're not allowed to sell you or suggest you buy anything based on benefit or profit or commissions to themselves. CFPs make money based on their fees, not commissions. 

CFP's are registered and have proof of their credentials that you can check before agreeing to a fee for consultation or for actual planning. There is no fixed rate such as you estimate at $1000 per year. You pay for services you hire a CFP to perform. You can pay by how much they manage or by a flat consultation fee. 

You could also go through an investment firm like Fidelity who will assign a CFP to manage your money. Fidelity, as an example,  salaries the CFP, so that person never makes money by commission. And the firm charges a small percentage of your investment profit as their own payment. They don't make money unless you profit. So the firm's incentive is to invest in accordance with your dictates as far as risk tolerance, but mindful that they work for free every fiscal quarter that you don't have profit.

Obviously, you are less at risk of the variables in the market when a professional invests with diversity and computer modeling to minimize loss as well as make profit. There are no guarantees, but they have insights and resources to insulate their investment decisions. Their obligation is to manage your money as fiduciaries while aiming for sensible profits they can carve payments out of for their services.

In the sense that your sons would certainly never work against your interest and would, presumably, try to preserve your capital, you can think of them as family fiduciaries. But if they don't have the expertise and training, credentials and resources of a Certified Financial Planner, then you are turning your money over to gifted amateurs who love you, or you're counting on luck as the major factor in your financial stability. 

I don't hesitate to hire  professionals to maintain my health, my property, my legal affairs. So I hire a Certified Financial Planner to maintain my money needed for my long term financial stability. 

You are right to explore your doubts. You need to understand how a CFP is educated, screened, tested and credentialed to give you more confidence. Love your sons and also hire a CFP or work thorough an investment firm. 

Respected Contributor

@haddon9with all due respect you are incorrect.financial advisors do not make commissions anymore. That is gone for years. Not necessary to work with a fiduciary they have selling points that are not true anymore. I suggest anyone that wants to work with a financial advisor really look into all types and be careful they are not listening to outdated hype. For example there is a commercial for Fisher Investments that is on a lot. Whatever they say in their commercial is done by all advisors not just them. . Be careful, it is your money.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am unsure as to the amount you are discussing but at this point, I'm sorry, they do not know any more than you do with a market like this.  Interest rates are increasing for cd's, Capital One has one that pays 5%,  federal bonds, T bills are a good choice as well, low risk.  I would hold tight at this point for awhile.............a wait and see.  No harm in being conservative and no reason for panic either..

Honored Contributor

Read you some Dave Ramsey!

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Read you some Dave Ramsey!

I love Dave Ramsey

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@geegerbee Do you have most of your investments in the Stock Market?

As we get older you should have less of a percentage in the Stock Market. You will have less time to recover from downturns like we are now experiencing.

You should research the company for fees and commissions. My husband was looking into a MAJOR company. They were going to charge 6% of the total investment every year. Since our investment would probably not give us a return of 6%, it seemed like it was not worth it.

Look at all the companies laying off thousands of employees and shutting stores.  Who knows what the future looks like. Who can predict. I am not sure anyone can.

Stick with a safe investment. And be careful taxes will eat up any inheritance your sons might get. I had to pay inheritance tax on my parents clothing. 

There is no Federal inheritance tax. And Federal Estate taxes apply to assets over $12M. Does your state have inheritance taxes?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?