Honored Contributor

Some always ring the bell, some don't.  It is what it is.  If you set up an account at UPS.com, you always know what's coming and when.  There are never any surprises.  You would have known that a something was coming yesterday and exactly when it was delivered.  

Esteemed Contributor

Heard back from the son who the packages came for and asked him if it was something that he thinks survived the coating of ice on the bags and the freezing overnight temps. Answer was he won't know until he plugs them in and sees if they work.

Super Contributor

This is one of the benefits of my Ring Doorbell.  I get a motion alert anytime someone comes on my front porch, so I know they have been there even if they don't ring the doorbell.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

So yesterday we had snow followed by sleet followed by freezing rain. My guy who does my driveway/stairs/sidewalk left here a few minutes before 7:00pm. We were still having some freezing rain. I paid him and closed the door & shut the outside lights. A little while ago I open my front door and there sits two little packages both in those plastic type envelope bags (10 x 8) covered in a coating of ice. So they'd been there all night in the freezing temps. They're for my son so I have no clue what's in them as he spent the night at his girlfriends. I'm about to send him a message but my vent is this. WHY CAN'T THEY RING THE ****** DOORBELL SO YOU KNOW SOMETHING IS OUT THERE? The ice is melting quickly off them but even the labels are a little blurry from being wet. Geez Louise, this isn't the first time they've come later in the evening and packages have sat out in bad weather all night because they can't ring the stupid doorbell which is right there in front of them when they put the packages at the top of the 4 front steps.

@shaggygirl    All our USP drivers used to always ring the bell when they delivered a package.  But from what I have been told by severall of the drivers is that they have been instructed to just leave the packages without ringing the bell.   Apparently TPTB seem to think that it wastes too much time.  Woman Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Short Vent about UPS

[ Edited ]

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

So yesterday we had snow followed by sleet followed by freezing rain. My guy who does my driveway/stairs/sidewalk left here a few minutes before 7:00pm. We were still having some freezing rain. I paid him and closed the door & shut the outside lights. A little while ago I open my front door and there sits two little packages both in those plastic type envelope bags (10 x 8) covered in a coating of ice. So they'd been there all night in the freezing temps. They're for my son so I have no clue what's in them as he spent the night at his girlfriends. I'm about to send him a message but my vent is this. WHY CAN'T THEY RING THE ****** DOORBELL SO YOU KNOW SOMETHING IS OUT THERE? The ice is melting quickly off them but even the labels are a little blurry from being wet. Geez Louise, this isn't the first time they've come later in the evening and packages have sat out in bad weather all night because they can't ring the stupid doorbell which is right there in front of them when they put the packages at the top of the 4 front steps.

@shaggygirl    All our USP drivers used to always ring the bell when they delivered a package.  But from what I have been told by severall of the drivers is that they have been instructed to just leave the packages without ringing the bell.   Apparently TPTB seem to think that it wastes too much time.  Woman Surprised

@Boehm Collector  Wastes too much time? To stick out their finger and push the doorbell? Oh Lordy, maybe in the near future to save time they'll just slow down to 20mph and fling the packages out the truck door somewhere in the general vicinity of their intended destination.

Super Contributor

The only thing I can say about not ringing the doorbell is some people sleep in the day time due to work hours. Our daughter used to work night shift and she said there were lots of daytime distractions.

Respected Contributor

i get my rebif ms meds from wallgreens mail order and it comes from fedex. its 12 needles and its 5800 bucks so i have it written on the box if no one answers the door then leave it next to back door. this past times they didnt ring bell and left in front of front door. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shaggygirl    All our USP drivers used to always ring the bell when they delivered a package.  But from what I have been told by several of the drivers is that they have been instructed to just leave the packages without ringing the bell.   Apparently TPTB seem to think that it wastes too much time.  Woman Surprised

@Boehm Collector  Wastes too much time? To stick out their finger and push the doorbell? Oh Lordy, maybe in the near future to save time they'll just slow down to 20mph and fling the packages out the truck door somewhere in the general vicinity of their intended destination.

@shaggygirl .. makes no sense to me either.  But that's the way TPTB think.  

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

My UPS guy does knock when he leaves a package.  It's not they're job tho - they're not required to do that.  

But I agree - you can track packages, get notifications of when to expect delivery, and when delivered - by UPS and FedEx.  UPS even has a map now so you can follow the truck!

Plus if you know a package is expected - by anyone in the household - you can be on the lookout.  The key is knowing lol.

I've been known to change plans/not go out when I'm expecting a package.  You can't be too careful these days.

Mine knocks too~But, the OP didn't know her son was expecting a package~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West