Respected Contributor

64 years old here, menopause long over (as of 6 years ago, don't even have the equipment anymore), and still shaving my legs all the way up, every single day. Not because anybody sees them (I wear only pants), but because I can't stand the bristles! My leg hair is still dark & thick, even though the hair on my head is mostly gray.

I never wear sleeveless, so I only shave the underarms once a week.

Add in the 30 minutes a day I spend plucking the hair on my face, and it all takes more time than I like!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden I stopped menstrating at age 50.  The hair thing, however, didn't LOL.  The underarm hair is less, but the leg hair is about the same.  I don't know what determines it.  My mom had very little body hair in later years.  Luck of the draw, I guess. Woman Frustrated

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Since hitting meno, I hardly have any leg hair, so I very rarely shave my legs.

@Anonymous032819 - same with me. My underarm hair is still going strong but I hardly have any leg hair at all.  Little maybe individual hairs in 20 places max.  I shave them once a week probably but I could go much, much longer than that.  My leg hair grows very very slowly. 

I also have just about no eyebrows left either. 

@gidgetgh   That can be a symptom of hypothyrioidism.

Or did you overpluck in your your youth?

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You'll get stories and personal experiences but there will be no consensus on this because all bodies are different.  Some women are more hairy than other women.  I was deep into my 20's before I found out that some women shave their legs everyday.  And I didn't believe it until someone I trusted told me.  I had never heard of that.  I also was an adult when I discovered that some women wash their hair every day,  apparently their heads get sweaty or greasy or something.  Speaking for myself,  I only have to shave my legs 3 times a year.  I don't shave my under arms because when I was 20ish, I took the hair off with Nair and my under arm hair never grew back.  That washing your legs thing comes up on social media from time to time.  I do wash my legs in the shower.  The water and soap travels down so I probably don't have to but I do.  

What determines which 3 days you shave?  Anniversary? Your birthday?  DH's birthday?  Just curious - LOL. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Since hitting meno, I hardly have any leg hair, so I very rarely shave my legs.

@Anonymous032819 - same with me. My underarm hair is still going strong but I hardly have any leg hair at all.  Little maybe individual hairs in 20 places max.  I shave them once a week probably but I could go much, much longer than that.  My leg hair grows very very slowly. 

I also have just about no eyebrows left either. 

@gidgetgh   That can be a symptom of hypothyrioidism.

Or did you overpluck in your your youth?

@tends2dogs Overplucked in my youth. And I’ve been on Synthroid since 1984 for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh   Hey, a fellow Hashimoto - ite or whatever it is called LOL.  I have been on Armour thyroid for about 10 years.

I also over plucked Woman Frustrated.

Super Contributor

I shave my legs every other day. Below the knees, I get the course black hair. Above the knees, the hair is softer and doesn't grow as fast. Weird.

I actually pluck my armpit hair believe it or not. I find it more effective than shaving since I'm getting rid of the hair. It's not permanent, some of it grows back anyway. I do this every other day.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are old there is no more hair down there to shave.

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 

Really?  How old?  There's still a crop "down there" and I would think most would think I'm old!   Maybe it's the biotin I take!   LOL!

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic  lol!  It does vary...I worked in health care for many years.  Lots of very old people still have a lot of hair “down there”.