Respected Contributor

Re: Share a Good Childhood Halloween Memory

I grew up in the Midwest and we did not to say trick-or-treat, but had to ask a riddle before we got our candy. I give the people answering doors a lot of credit for pretending to laugh at the repetitive jokes. Back then you were often invited inside so everyone could see your costume and hear your riddle. 

Honored Contributor

Snickers and popcorn balls.

Honored Contributor

Went trick or treating with my friend Renee in the 1960, we are still friends and she has 3 grand kids Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

How about a BAD one?    I was in my costume, and fell in a snow drift....that was over a mud puddle.    And THAT was my LAST time going out for Trick or Treat...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@Big Joanie  LOL. Just posted that I wore that “costume” at my school.....I was teaching idioms!,,,

My memory was of painting a Halloween theme on a store front window for a contest. I was in 3rd and think I won 2 nd place. NYC 1959?

Also, remember my Father going through the candy bags to check for unwrapped candy. This was in the 60’s.

Esteemed Contributor

My best friend Lynn & I.

I don't remember the costumes, but we decorated her garage and we had séances, called to Mary Worth in the mirror and did levatiton (light as a  feather, stiff as a board).

oh wait, we did that even when it wasn't Halloween. 

Respected Contributor

This is from about 65 years ago, so bear with me.  I remember my mother dressing me up as a gypsy and  instead of putting big hoop earrings on me, she sewed green round window shade pulls to each side of a red bandana that was on my head.  She held me up to a mirror and I screamed my head off.  

Respected Contributor

I have no memories of trick or treating.

I'm sure I must have?

I have no pictures.

I need to ask my sister if I ever went.

Honored Contributor

One time when my kids were pretty young, I had to work so my DH took the kids out on Halloween.

I was home by the time they came in with their big haul.  As I was checking the candy and goodies, I came across a small bag with home made baked goodies inside.  I took those bags away and told them they couldn't eat it.

All three started to complain.  They said it was safe to eat and I said "NO.  We don't eat food prepared by strangers." My daughter said the lady that passed the bag of homemade goodies was not a stranger, so I asked who it was.  She said she didn't know the lady's name but daddy did.  So, I asked her how she knew they knew each other and she answered that the lady was  "hugging and kissing daddy." 

After some detective work, I found out the lady was my husband's brother's MIL. She was an older grandmother.  We all got a laugh from that.

Esteemed Contributor

My children's childhood. When they were pretty small, a neighboring community had a fun fair at their school. My aunt lived in that little town and invited me to bring my kids and go with her. It was fun, all kinds of things for them to do. But, the neatest thing, is that on the way home it started snowing these huge flakes. We live in Arkansas and it usually doesn't snow here that early in the year.

It was just a really neat night.