Trusted Contributor

Share a Good Childhood Halloween Memory

I remember my mom helping me get dressed for trick-or-treating.  I was dressed as a bride. It was the first time I ever wore lipstick and the only time in my life I've ever wore a bridal gown.  (I wore a off white knee length dress when I got married).

I would go with trick-or-treating with my brother after school and we would do a few blocks of trick-or-treating and then return home for dinner.  By that time my dad would be home from work and he told me I was such a pretty bride.  Then we would go back out and do a few more blocks.

My mom and dad have passed away, but I cherish these good memories of them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Share a Good Childhood Halloween Memory

Not a childhood one,but 26 years ago our younger son and our D-I-L were married. It was a wonderful wedding and the invitation asked that all come in costume.

Honored Contributor

If you can imagine, in the 50's when I was a kid, we would dress up and sing for the guys at the local bars in town. The guys at the bar were very generous and I can remember coming home with a boat load of change. A nickle went pretty far back then.LOL

Respected Contributor

This is about my son and his friend. They were about 12 and 13 years old. Both agreed it would be the last time. Just very tall and big kids.  They went and all went well until they went to Mr. Brown's house. He stood at the top of the stairs and said Who the f*** are you? He knew who they were and invited them in.

Honored Contributor

I was invited to a friend's Halloween party. Her folks turned their basement into a haunted house, very cool. My mom, who was not crafty or a seamstress, put together a Cleopatra costume out of old drapes, and great costume jewelry and make- up. I won first prize, thanks mom !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I was in the first grade and we lived in a development that had only one entrance.  A friend whom was a year older and I went trick or treating.  We had a ball!  I remember running breathlessly through the yards. Someone had made candied apples!!!!!

I never really trick or treated again.  We moved out in the country and there were pastures between the homes, but I did get a horse!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm old so all of my costumes were made.  My aunt made popcorn and put them in plastic and tied them with ribbons.

Back then there was no one poisoning people or any of that horrible stuff.

I grew up until I was 13 in the same neighborhood with all of my friends.  It was like some of those TV shows where everyone knew each other (townhouses, but they were called 'row houses' back then).

We all walked together house by house.  Remembering back once when we'd wandered off way into other neighborhoods, some kid stole our candy bags (they were just paper grocery bags).  Other kids stopped and shared their's with us....

There's something to be said for living in the same house and having the same friends for years.

I've always said I felt I was a better person because of it.  We all had family problems and issues but none were judged. 

I still have many of those same friends.  We were together all through school.....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We lived in the country, and either Mom or Dad would drive us around the 4-mile square, and then a trip to my nearby grandma's.  We only stopped at places where we knew the people.  A lady who lived down the road always passed out yummy pink popcorn balls.  Somehow she got wind that Dad  "helped" the younger kids eat theirs...so after that she always tossed in an extra one for Dad!

Good times...fun memories with my brother and sisters.

Respected Contributor

When I was a kid, I liked to trick-or-treat in my aunt's neighborhood.  She lived on a street with a few multi-family houses and since I wasn't allowed to cross the street, I made out well there.  One time I was dressed as an angel - It was a very windy evening, and one of my wings just bent and then blew away!  My brother got a big kick out of that.

Respected Contributor

i must have been about 7 or 8 and my mother came up with the

idea for my costume .. " Everything but the kitchen sink " ..

Everything that she could think of was put on a white shealth

i can't believe I remember that .... it was probably 1956 or 1957 .....

its actually a very vivid memory .... I can pichure it ....